Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
tgrucelski
Established Member

M.O.C. #7552
fresh water tank fill

Hey all,

I used the powerfill to fill up the fresh water tank and got a little side-tracked with something else. I had assumed that once the tank was full it would just run out the overfill vent, but apparently not the case. Water was probably running 20 minutes or so after it was full and I noticed water dripping from numerous places underneath forward of the fill cap along the frame. Also noticed the carpet wet around and forward of where the fill neck is boxed in.

I'm wondering if I caused any damage to the tank and/ or is the fill neck/ vent tube not sealed to the tank via a screw-on fitting? There was quite a bit of pressure built up when I unscrewed the fill cap.

Should I be worried about water still trapped in there or do you think it all just drained out on it's own?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

ps. was using campground (weak) supply + regulator

Second edit: Should have been more clear, I am at a campground with the water line hooked up (with in-line regulator) to the convenience center, by power fill I meant flipping the the valve from normal to fill. Gravity fill door at the back was closed so it didn't have any where to go, and there was pretty substantial pressure by the time I turned the valve back to normal and walked back to open the gravity fill cap. I'm wondering where it did come out.

tgrucelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I had this same thing happen to me. Yes, water came out along the entire back cap bottom. My living room rug was also wet inside. I happened to be at the 2006 Goshen Rally at the time and the Factory Service Center examined this area for damage. They said they could not find anything wrong. I asked them to document this for possible later action.

I have never had any more problems with my water tank and we have been fulltiming ever since that happened.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Todd, I'm assuming you used your house water pressure to fill the tank. If that is the case, there is a good probability that much pressure was too much to allow the air to escape thru the little relief hole above the hose fitting fast enough. That would build up a lot of pressure in the tank causing it to leak at it's weaker points, being the places you've mentioned where water was running out. Water goes in the fill hole quicker that it can come out the relief hole.
You may have just learned a valuable lesson that you won't repeat again.
And to beat all, you have an 08 model and it could have had a bad fitting too! Hope that was the reason, Keystone will fix that problem.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
What we use to fill our tank is a washing machine hose with one end cut off. You are able to get it into the opening and leave it there until it fills. When full it will start to come out the same opening and you do not have to worry about pushing all the air out the vent line.I woulnd'nt use anything else,it is safe and easy.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Todd,

I use the convenience center water filler switch. I have never removed the cap at the gravity feed, and can hear the air being displaced through the vent hole while filling. When the water runs out the vent hole, it is full.

One thought might be that even though you are using a pressure regulator, the air vent may be getting overwhelmed by the amount of water being pushed through the line. I suggest while filling that you slow it up before it is full so that it can burp...just a thought at a possible solution.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote