Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #21
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Just want to add my endorsement to the Sewer Solution, which I've used for the last 7 months. I really appreciate how much cleaner it is to work with the small SS hose after it's been flushed clean with water rather than trying to rinse clean a standard 3" dump hose. I also have never had any problem with the SS churning up any solids that come out of the black tank, even in situations where my CG water pressure is low.

Having said that, the one drawback that I've found is that it takes longer to pump out a tank thru that one inch hose than it does to dump it out thru a standard 3" flexible hose. But that's not a big problem for me--the benefits of the SS outweigh this drawback.

P.S. When, as at the CG I'm at right now, the run to the dump tank is longer than the 10' SS hose, I use one or two lengths of 1" PVC pipe to reach the dump tank. A cheap way to extend the hose, and again something that cleans up easily.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #22
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I just ordered one from Camping World today based on the good reviews here. Just what I need at home to drain tanks. Thanks all!!

BTW they are on internet sale now.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #23
89dually

M.O.C. #4960
I have been using the sever solution for a year now and am pushing the sewage through aprox 130 feet of made up hose. a little down hill also helps. 3-4 feet of drop.
89dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have used the SS for about three years now. Never any problems. I was making my own when I thought, $99.00 is not a bad price at all so just bought one. I found that the flexible PVC "pipe" is much cheaper than the green spirolite hose supplied by SS. I have about 30' now and really appreciate the clean easy to use product.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #25
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I also have the Sewer Solution and used it for the first time at the Spring rally. It sure is a lot easier to handle than the large 3"hose.
I do have a question for those of you who have experience using this system. Do you see anything wrong in using the outside shower on the newer models for water source into the Sewer
Solution? This would put the water connection close to the system and also with a coiled hose.
I have no other need to use the outside shower!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I also have the Sewer Solution and used it for the first time at the Spring rally. It sure is a lot easier to handle than the large 3"hose.
I do have a question for those of you who have experience using this system. Do you see anything wrong in using the outside shower on the newer models for water source into the Sewer
Solution? This would put the water connection close to the system and also with a coiled hose.
I have no other need to use the outside shower!
Jack
It's convenient but I wouldn't do it. You will get splash back from your sewer hose onto the shower head. Then suppose, just suppose you might run some water out of the shower to drink. Not saying you would, but if it's convenient, you might. I disconnected the plumbing to my shower, which doesn't mean anything here. You know, it's just like someone holding their 3" sewer hose under the fresh water spigot to rinse it out. Bacteria DOES splash back onto the spigot. That's why I use a disinfectant mixture that I spray on every spigot that I connect to. Just my thoughts.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The problem you face is contamination due to migration of bacteria back into your system. The bacteria of concern comes from fecal matter and is the ecoli, a very dangerous little bug. Remember bacteria can follow water droplets back along the water line. For this reason, I could not recommend the use of the outside water from the control center. In any case, the line used for wash needs to have an anti-siphoning valve on it to prevent migration.

I use dedicated hoses for the black tank wash line and the Sewer Solution water jet line. They are even stored differently than the potable water hose or even hoses used for general purposes. It is my view that water source safety is more important than convenience.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #28
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Orv,Stiles thanks for the advice.Someone suggested this method to me,you both bring up a good point.
I am taking your advice. Thanks again.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Don't mean to hijack the topic, but I have a question based on Stiles' post. I run my drinking water line up to a "Y" connection in the "water central" cabinet, with one side of the Y going to the potable water inlet and the other side of the Y going to the black water tank flush. Both portions of the Y connector have separate cutoff valves. I typically keep the cutoff valve to the black tank flush closed except when flushing.

Is there any risk of contamination of my fresh water with this setup? It is my understanding that the black flush system has an anti-siphon valve in it. Plus, the only time the valve to the black tank flush is open is when I'm flushing, in which case I have a strong stream of water pouring inward thru the connection. When I shut off the black tank flush, there would appear to be no way for there to be a back flush into my drinking water supply. Or is there a risk that I'm not seeing?

David
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #30
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It may be over kill, but if it were me, I would put an additional anti-siphon valve on the side of the "Y" where you attach the tank wash line. I am not aware of an anti-siphon valve built into my Big Sky, but even if there were, I would add the (very cheap) valve as stated.

From the CG water source, I use a four outlet manifold. At the manifold and on the outlets where the tank wash and Sewer System lines are attached, I have placed anti-siphon valves. On the potable outlet, I have an adjustable pressure regulator. The forth outlet is for general use, i.e., washing the rig, etc.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 AM   #31
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I am not sure about the new 3400RL, but on our new Big Sky 340RLG the "outside shower" is a misnomer. What we got was a hose with a quick disconnect on one end to attach to the rig faucet and a standard male hose connection on the other. There is no shower head, so I have added a brass quick disconnect with gate valve to the end of the hose. I can use it got the power flush but it doesn't have the flow that a straight hose does. It will work with the Sewer Solution also but also doesn't have the flow of a 5/8 inch hose. I have tried it in both configurations and was not satisfied with the results. It will work in a pinch but in normal use I will stay with the normal hose (5/8") for both flushes. I can also add a nozzle for shower use.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #32
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Don't mean to hijack the topic, but I have a question based on Stiles' post. I run my drinking water line up to a "Y" connection in the "water central" cabinet, with one side of the Y going to the potable water inlet and the other side of the Y going to the black water tank flush. Both portions of the Y connector have separate cutoff valves. I typically keep the cutoff valve to the black tank flush closed except when flushing.

Is there any risk of contamination of my fresh water with this setup? It is my understanding that the black flush system has an anti-siphon valve in it. Plus, the only time the valve to the black tank flush is open is when I'm flushing, in which case I have a strong stream of water pouring inward thru the connection. When I shut off the black tank flush, there would appear to be no way for there to be a back flush into my drinking water supply. Or is there a risk that I'm not seeing?

David
I'm with Stiles on this one. Never take any chances on contamination. I think we all know that if there is any chance there could be contamination, it will happen. David, go with your gut on this one.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #33
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I actually use the outside shower (coldwater only) through an anti siphon valve and a shut off. The blue spiral hose connected to the SS. The only time the valves are open there is water pressure on the system. We have no problems with this system. Even on my SOB rig for the last three years. I personally feel very comfortable using this setup.
The main reason for the anti siphon valve is to obviously prevent water from backwashing into another water line. I question as to how can this ever happen when the system is under pressure. We know water won't run back against pressure equal to itself. The city's answer was in the event there was a fire down the street and the firetruck was hooked up the the hydrant and created a negative pressure on the system it could "suck" water from your hose or whatever back into the cities system. If you were filling your pool it could suck that water out and into the water lines. SO as long as I am monitoring the system and know there is water under pressure flowing the right direction in my hoses I feel there is no need to be concerned. Again these are my own personal feelings as a retired well driller/pump installer/water tester.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #34
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There is a reason anti-siphon valves are code here at home. I feel they should be mandatory in camper hookups as well. Especially anything even close to dirty water.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
You know, as satisfied as I am with my stinky slinky setup, I am dying to try this sewer solution out. I've had it in my shopping basket online several times and keep telling myself I'm good for now.
One of these days...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #36
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozzie, How long ya gonna be in Yah Hey furshure land? We are heading back north and should be in northern Wis in about two weeks. We will be headed west later in the spring. If we get in your neck of the woods before ya leave you can play with mine. OOFDAH!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #37
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Oh man...missed this one totally...I was reading of your travels through this area and was thinking we should get together...shoot.
Sorry about that...

I broke down and got this Sewer Solution finally...very clean setup. It is definitely slower by a fair margin, but with full hookups it is a very nice way to go. I am a little confuzled about the backflush feature. I don't really think it would do a great job backflushing with the hose still open, but maybe it just takes time. I am plenty happy just filling the sinks and toilet the old fashioned way from the inside so I can keep an eye on things.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #38
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
No biggy Ozzie, I forgot about it too. See you at the rally? ... Dave