Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
mojo7911

M.O.C. #7986
Electical Spikes

Have a 07 3475rl. On 15 Nov experienced electical spike which wiped out Quest 3000 surround sound systen, TV in living area, Dish Receiver, Micro Wave Oven, Satelite Radio and Converter. After getting all replaced which took until the 18 Dec got another spike which took out converter and micro wave and radio once again. Had unit check out by reputable dealer and nothing found wrong. However could not come up with eplanation as to why happened. Gets expensive!! Has anyone experienced anything like this.
mojo7911

mojo7911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Mojo, sounds like you need to look into a Surge Guard. Here's what CW has, but there are other sources: http://tinyurl.com/2572sh
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you don't have surge protection, you are subject to power surges and the damage you describe. Many have gone for years and not ever had a problem. Some of those folks can't see the need for surge protection. Like you, I experienced two events, not in my RV, but in my stick house when I owned one. I had two near lightning strikes and each time I lost several appliances and electronic equipment.

My solution was to install a "whole house" surge protection device from Intermetic. On my RV, I have the same device. If I get a hit it absorbs the spike and I will need to replace the $65.00 item rather than all the electrical equipment. They have a good warranty about ancellary damage if the surge suppression fails.

I also use surge protector cords, not the really cheap ones, on all the major electronic equipment. This gives me a double layer of protection.

There are other solutions to this very real threat and others will be happy to share their approach.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Me too, and what Stiles said............
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
where were you that you got two spikes so close together. Surge guard is a good investment...We never leave home without one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've always been a firm believer in the Surge Guard. It has protected us on numerous occasions (four that I can remember) when RVers around us were devastated. It's a very good investment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote