Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Keystone denies warranty re axle alignment problem

In a prior post, I reported on a problem I found with uneven wear on one of my tires--severe wear on the inner tread on the rear curbside tire--and asked whether that would be due to an axle alignment problem or something else. Several of you suggested the tire problem was probably due either to an axle alignment problem or possibly a problem with the springs. I took our Big Sky into the dealer and asked them to check out the problem under warranty since the rig was only 7 months old.

I got a call last night from the dealer saying that Keystone had denied warranty coverage on this problem. The reported rationale for the denial was that the problem could be due to a defective tire rather than an axle problem. Does this explanation make sense to people? I admit I know little about tires, but I can't easily see how a tire defect causes an inside tread to wear more heavily than the other portions of the tire. Also, whether it's a problem with the axle or the tire, I would think it's still covered by the one-year warranty. And I don't like the prospect of getting caught in a fight between the tire manufacturer and Keystone, with each pointing the finger at the other. Plus, even if the tire manufacturer replaces the tire, if it turns out to be an axle alignment problem, I probably won't get enough uneven wear on the new tire to prove it's an axle problem until after the Keystone warranty has expired.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Is your'e Montana warranty on the Big Sky the same as other Monty's 1 year? If so then you are right it would be hard to get enough tire wear to see if it happens again. What you could do is try and get the issue documented and get the tire manufacturer to replaces the tire, and if it does happen again hopefully Montana will recognize your'e documentation of the issue and help you out.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

Is your'e Montana warranty on the Big Sky the same as other Monty's 1 year? If so then you are right it would be hard to get enough tire wear to see if it happens again. What you could do is try and get the issue documented and get the tire manufacturer to replaces the tire, and if it does happen again hopefully Montana will recognize your'e documentation of the issue and help you out.
That sounds like a good plan to me also. We had the issue with the black tank. We were headed south, and I didn't want to wait another month for the dealer to look at it again. The service manager had the secretary enter in the computer that the problem was noted, that we were leaving and wouldn't return until well after the warranty had expired. He documented it as "possible warranty black tank replacement". I would think if your dealer is not trying to "shaft" you, they would attempt to extend the warranty on the axles until a new tire had time to wear.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
If your warranty is still good in the spring, I would be dragging it up to Indiana to the factory.
I would also call the factory too and make sure this is what they said.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a Good idea to get that documented with Keystone.. We did that with a possible roof problem. Perhaps one of the tire guys can comment on a possible tire problem. It sound reasonable for Keystone to say it MIGHT be a tire problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Tire problem or not you are under year old and have 12 months bumper to bumper warranty that's warranted by Keystone, the after that you have manufactures warranty. I would say either dealer did not want to fool with it or keystone is feeding you bunch of bull, find another dealer.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Jo-Anna,

I think I agree with Broome101. It is amazing how often the dealer will say they have called Keystone and Keystone has no record of such a call. Don't know who to believe but either way 7 months is not very long to have severe tire damage. And whether it is a tire defect or not Keystone should just swap it out and say they're sorry for causing you any trouble. If the new tire should do the same thing then you pretty much know that it is an axle problem.

If you haven't talked directly with Keystone then I think I'd at least give them a call and talk it over.

Don't you just hate it when you get this "in between" stuff!

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree, David. Call Keystone yourself and find out both their position on this and whether they told the dealer they deny responsibility.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have the same problem on my Big Sky David. Where I live I have to have an annual inspection. I recently had this inspection completed for next year and my rig failed to pass because of a severely worn tire. Dealer said they called Keystone and emailed pics. Apparently Keystone said this is usually the result of a bent axle. Dealer advised me that I required a new axle and if Keystone would not pay for it they (the dealer) would. Keystone and the dealer said this can happen for a lot of reasons but most of them seem to be driving over bad roads, hitting pot holes and the like. The axle arrived this week and will be installed early in the new year. I do not know who is paying for it but since it is not me I have not followed up on it much. I assume my dealer was having a problem getting Keystone to accept responsibility but I'm not sure how those two resolved the issue of who will pay. All I do know for sure is that my dealer said they, their words, will not leave me stranded, if keystone does not replace the axel we will at our cost.

On edit, I picked up my Big Sky in May of this year so am well under the warranty period. If keystone is denying a warranty repair they must consider it to be a road hazard or driver problem.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
As several have suggested, I intend to call Keystone when they reopen on Wednesday and confirm the info I got from the dealer. I'm pretty sure the dealer did talk to them as the dealer told me about several other warranty items on my list that Keystone did agree to cover--but not the axle and a few other problems. I don't expect the dealer to push hard on the axle as they are not my selling dealer--I bought the rig in Virginia before heading out west; I left it at a dealer in Las Vegas for warranty work when we flew back to DC for the holidays.

I guess I have two problems with the reported position of Keystone that it could be a tire problem and not an axle problem. First, I'm not sure what kind of a tire defect could cause the tire to wear down unevenly on the inner tread rather than across the whole tire. Does this "tire defect" theory sound legit? Any rebuttal arguments I can use if Keystone raises that claim with me?

My bigger problem is feeling like I'm getting stuck in the middle of a finger pointing contest. Even if the problem could be due to a tire defect, it could also be due to an axle alignment problem, or possibly a bad spring. Since all of this happened within the one-year warranty period, I certainly feel that Keystone should take care of it for me under warranty. If they want to start by replacing the tire at their expense (let them work it out with Mission as to who pays for the replacement tire), I could go along with that--provided that, if the same uneven wear shows up on the new tire later this summer, after the warranty has expired, Keystone then does something about the axle under warranty. Does my position seem unreasonable? Has anyone succeeded in getting Keystone to essentially extend warranty coverage like this when the problem was first reported while still under warranty?

Jim, thanks for your note about your similar axle problem. As for their explanation about a bent axle being most likely due to hitting a pothole or other road hazard, I would think that more likely to be the explanation if the problem was with the front axle. But with me, it's the rear tire that is wearing--not sure I see how I hit something hard enough to bend the rear axle without damaging the axle just in front of it. Am I missing something here?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have an issue with the dealer and keystone. If you live a long distance from Goshen,IN your trailer did not fly to the dealership, it was towed by a transporter like me. You have miles on the tires before you took delivery. David in your case around 400 miles? This has to do with my old gripe of dealers not doing a good check in job, when these rigs arrive at the dealership. The dealer takes a copy of the check in sheet which has the trailer vin. on it along with the delivery paperwork. The transporter gets copies of all this paperwork that is signed by the dealership. If he is going back to Goshen, he takes it to dipatch or he sends it in with a travel pack. The trasport company takes a copy as proof of delivery and the originals are sent back to Keystone. I wish more people would demand to see that check in sheet when looking to purchase. I find some dealers really go over the rig like filling everthing up and running everything like you would, even filling the black tank with fresh water to check for leaks. Then I have the ones who just make sure the keys are in the trailer and the warranty pack is inside,thats it. Take care and good luck.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would recommend you write to Keystone and list you concerns, what is said verbally can be denied and you get into a " he said, she said " situation. I know in my case it was my letter that did get results in the end. There are alignment shops that specialize in "reposition axles or bending them. Mine was 3/8" out of align and worn the tread off on left rear inside It seems that the axle flattens out and causes the tires to to wear on the inside and only rear axles. Too bad we could not get a number of how many rigs have had this problem and what actually causes them.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:33 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
Someone is dropping the ball and that someone is your dealer. I agree with those who have said to write Keystone but I would copy your dealer. Then I would list all my concerns because you are under warranty (you said it was seven months old). I would send the letter to both parties via priority with confirmation of receipt. It'll cost you about $10.50 for the two letters but you'll have everything in writing. Be nice, be positive, and ask them for their help. If you could get some "expert" to inspect your rig to see where the blame lies (tire or axle), that would be very helpful to include with the letters.

It's been my experience that Keystone has been very responsive when the dealer works with them but apparently your dealer doesn't want to be bothered. I certainly wouldn't give them any more of my business nor would I ever recommend them to anyone else.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
What orv said is good advice.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #15
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
You have not said what brand of axles they are. I would also contact the axle manufacture and let know of the problem. There might be more warranty then one year on the axles. Like I have said before the road system here in the USA is bad and the money for roads seems to find another place and not the roads.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree with Orv, its the poor way the Dealer handled it. Just calling Keystone because you suspect an axle or tire problem, of course they are going to say to try the tire first.

My Dealer felt he was enough of an expert to make that decision and sent me to an alignment shop to get it aligned. He then credited me for the tire and I was on my way. He said that Keystone would most likely cover the alignment when they see the actual numbers, but that was not my worry because I was covered through the Dealer. I never heard whether Keystone stepped up to the plate or not, nor do I care. My problem has been resolved at no expense to me as it should be.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Based on personal experience with Keystone, get everything in writing! We had extensive work done at the factory and we requested an additional 90 day warranty on repaired items. Of course we had problems and let our dealer know and took it to them only to be initially denied any additional warranty coverage. After it was too late for work to be done before our trip to Mexico, Keystone remembered it had extended our warranty. Don't trust anyone.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
David, I am having the exact same problem on my 06 Mountaineer. In fact, it is in the shop right now because my rear drivers side tire is wearing just like yours....on the inside. In my case, this is the 2nd tire with this issue...on the same axle in the same position. My fiver is out of warranty so I took it to an independent shop last week. Just a few hours ago, they informed me that my fiver is equipped with #5200lb axles which they feel are too light for the fiver. They are telling me both axles are shot and need to be replaced.. They suggested I go to 6000lb axles and upgrade the wheels to an 8 lug pattern and buy new upgraded tires....bottom line quote...$2400 and that doesn't include the new rims and tires.. In my case I have Dexter axles on the fiver. It has been 18 months since I bought the fiver and the Dexter axles are warrantied for 2 years. Since I just found all of this out today, I am going to contact Dexter axle and see what their position on this mess is going to be. Hopefully I can get the service center to help me out with this since they are the ones diagnosing the problem. I think you are wise to question the logic of the "faulty tire" explanation. In my case, it was not the tire, but the axle. Like others have advised, get everything you can in writing as I am highly doubtful this is a tire issue. I will let you know what I find out with mine as I gather more facts.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
David,

I sure hope Keystone doesn't say you must have been driving backwards when you hit something that bent only the rear axle, thus ruining only the rear tire...duh!

Your logic is sound. Go get 'em!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I would think if were axle aleignment; one side would wear to the outside and other side to the inside. Axles can loose their camber or temper to one side and not the other. I would think a pot hole or curb would bend or break a wheel.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote