Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Water Heater AGAIN!

As some of you know my water heater went out a couple of months ago. The dealer replaced the water heater and the extended warranty paid ofr the replacement of course I had to pay the deductible. Last weekend while I was camping at the family farm I had turned the water heater off. I kept hearing a high pitched noise which sounded like it was coming from the hot water heater. I had turned the water heater off the night before so I thought this was odd. I went outside and took the cover off then opened the pressure valve to see if the water was hot. Sure enough the electric element stays turned on unless you turn the outside switch off after you turn off the switch in the camper. Now I have to schedule another appointment so they can fix their mistake.
ARGH! It is just frustrating to have to have repairs repaired. I am not even going to start on the counter reassembly which was substandard.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Do you mead the red switch inside? That only turns off the propane part of the water heater.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yup, if you don't turn off the switch in the outside area (the one with the wire clasp through the switch), whenever you hook up to 110 volts, your water heater ELECTRIC element will be charged, attempting to heat water, if the heater tank is, indeed, full of water...

Our solution was to keep the outside switch on, but add an illuminated switch inside before the outside switch. This way, we can easily turn off the electric side of the heater when we are paying for electricity. The inside switch is, in our 3400, just above the access panel for the heater bypass valve.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In lieu of installing a new switch we opt to simply turn off the breaker switch. Now before you all jump on me about shortening the life of my breaker.... we only have to turn it off 2 or 3 times a year. Thankfully the breaker box is very easy to access.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Ok, I just had one of my "Phil's a dumbass" moments. You guys are right. I forgot to turn the outside switch off. I stood there looking at the switch outside thinking to myself that it didn't look right. I closed the panel back and never turned the switch off. Some people have embarrassing moments. I just found one of mine.

I still stand by my statement the cabinet reconstruction is substandard.

Not affraid to admit I am wrong sometimes.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Soooo, your only out an electric element not the entire hot water heater. Those you can change w/o much trouble and then the next time you will be the wiser! We are only human and it is human to error.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,

I'll bet you're the only one to ever make such a mistake. Phil it took me a whole year to even realize my HWH had an electrical element! And you know those little grill things on the air conditioner.... well again it was a long time before I knew you could move them and make the air go into the bedroom!

Welcome to the club.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote