Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Uh Oh - Funny?? Smell

On the third week of second break-in excursion with the 3400. All has went extremely well.....almost. One issue, the fireplace adjusting knob for the flame brightness came loose. No biggy, will try to repair, if not dealer can take care of it. Next issue, half-time oven light stays on at times, will monitor. Final issue, about a week ago, our dog Sweetheart started sniffing beneath the stairs at the slotted openings and near the sliding door to the bedroom. Thought maybe she had completely lost her mind, but now there is a discernable odor there. Will be investigating fully (tonight hopefully). I assume the obvious is to check under stairs (remove slotted cover on bottom step) and to remove covers in basement and visually check the area. Anybody have any experience with similar issues, I know the water pump is under there, but what else should I be looking for?? Thanks for any guidance,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo,

Finally got mine torn into running cables. Behind the wood grille is access to the space below your bottom step and to the left is the plumbing at your dock station, as well as your water pump hidden below the pantry. Sitting in the middle of the opening is your 12V converter. There is also a void space between the bottom and middle step, but I don't think you could see up into there without removing the white panel from the basement. The white panel removes pretty easily, but you have to remove the shower trap (don't get wet).

Good luck!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, they moved the converter! A great idea.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Brad, the void space provided the key and the shower trap hint saved me a dousing!!. Found a small stash of dog food in the corner of the void space (visible from the basement after removing the white panel). Immediately purchased four conventional spring-loaded wooden mouse traps, and placed them under steps, under shower and in the basement. Basement trap had one of the critters this morning (hopefully that was the only one). Utilizing a deductive reasoning approach for investigation (following the trail of mouse droppings!!), led to the entry point (the hose and tv cable inlet at the bottom of the docking station). I stuffed some wire screen in there, but believe I will try to come up with some sort of funnel to face downward at the bottom hole at the plumbing dock. Anybody got any other approaches to sealing this area off while in use. I guess the mouse easily figured out that the water hose was it's travelway into the Monty.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo - good catch! Literally

I never thought of that opening, but then again we haven't used the rig yet. I suppose a pile of steel wool would help.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I have a water filter that sits in that hole and closes it perfectly.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We place crumpled Bounce drier sheets in all openings we can reach- no more unwelcome tenants - Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As a follow-up, haven't caught any more varmints, told DW to stock up on Bounce as Monty will be in storage from this weekend until Memorial Day. Knob to adjust light on fireplace broke off (made of plastic of course), so will have dealer deal with that issue. Still trying to figure out light staying on in Apollo but at least it is working fine. BTW, this trip started as a one week stay, but somehow we are in the third week already (just can't get DW to move back home). Oh well, we are definitely enjoying the life of luxury, even though it does mean another 15 minutes tacked on to the morning commute, but Momma's happy so everyone is happy. Blessings to all.
Bingo

Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaha - that's too funny Bingo - your only an additional 15 minutes away from home.

We're heading out for our maiden voyage this weekend and its ony a few miles away. I hope once I crack that first barley pop the DW will decide to make it a 3 week stay!