Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Air pin box vs air hitch?

OK, which is better? An air pin box (Mor/Ryde or any other brand) or a good air hitch? I use the word "air" very liberally. You all know what I mean... mechanisms meant to buffer any and all motion...

I want to get either/or. Obviously "BOTH" is not something that would be recommended, I'm sure. I do not need a slider hitch with my long box.

Did I mention that I am aware that this will be STRICTLY opinion, so you really don't need to mention that to me. I just want to hear the MOC opinions on this please.

And don't be afraid to use the phrase, "Well, if money were no object, I would get ................"

*On Edit~ I maybe should have posted this on the Towing section on second thought... Oh well, I guess this falls into both categories...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have the 5th Airborne air pin and love it. Carol had surgery several years ago on a herniated disc below her neck and the bucking and chucking really affected her badly. Now, it is completely different. When traveling over bumps, holes, dips, etc, we feel the first bump when the tv passes over it but do not get the feel of the Monty kicking back. This discussion was here before and I don't know the difference between bucking and chucking but this pin had been great. CW has sales occasionally - we got free shipping and a $100 gift cert when we got ours.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't think an air pin box can ever equal the performance of an air hitch, just because of the limited range of motion.

If money was no object - I would have the Trailer Saver hitch - Slide Saver version (I need the slide).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We, too, have the 5th Airborne unit. Dianna has osteo and spinal arthritis. She immediately acknowledged the difference without prompting. We don't even discuss the "chucking" issue anymore. I bought mine from PPL RV online. My local mechanic helped me install it (which means he did the work and I was the helper) for $20.00. With the $100+ saving from PPL, my package was less than $700 installed.

I could have installed it myself but for the fact that I didn't have an impact wrench to remove the old pin. The fit is tight and requires some work to get the old pin box out. Once you get the first bolt into the 5th Airborne, you can swing it into place and tighten the rest.

Not from an experiential stand point but a logical one, I believe the air hitch would do a more thorough job of cushioning than anything at the pin simply because there is more room to supply shock absorbing and buffering devices. I have looked at them online and in person and found them impressive.

My decision was made with the same philosophy as buying a Montana rather than a more expensive unit; the most "bang for the buck" mentality. I decided that 5th AB would do the expected job, which has proven out for us. I want to be able to remove my hitch from time to time to use the TV as a truck, nearly impossible with a air hitch without a crane. I can buy a goodly amount of diesel with the difference in dollars. At this point, I am happy with my choice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I too have the 5th Airborne...it is a great improvement and well worth the money. For three or four times the cost, the air hitch will do a better job. You pay your money and take your choice.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I`ll let you know.Having the 5th airBorne/sidewinder installed april 24 at my local Camping world.The sidewinder part is for short bed trucks.i will have no need NOW to move my slider.Also even though I have 2 fantastic fans already,I am going with a Shuroflo fan for the vent above the recliners in the back.This is the one with the remote.Whats nice about the shuroFlo is you can close the lid and use it as a ceiling fan.We shall see if it meets hthe quality of the fantasic fans,which i love.And last but not least will be having the fridge recall done as well.looks like its going to be a long day at Camping world,waiting for the work to be done.

Pretty excited about the 5th AirBorne/sidewinder.from what I hear of others that have this set-up they all say its a great improvement.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave, I think you've seen enough of my posts to know that I favor the air ride hitch on the truck. It allows me to move it to another truck if I want to whereas I'm not sure I'd be able to move a pinbox adapter to another rig. I find the TrailerSaver hitch to be great....if money were no object. If anyone talks to Hensley Mfg about the hitch, I tell them to tell Hensley that Orv Schinke recommended it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds like, money aside, air hitches will do the better job overall. Something came up here though that needs further discussion... How much heavier are thes air hitches relative to my 16K double pivot hitch? The Trailer Saver hitch sounds great - I have read some members posts on this hitch and I think this would be a great choice. Just wondering about the extra weight?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave we have the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch, and the Mor/Ryde pin box. The Trailer Saver is a superb hitch. I didn't know anything about the Air ride hitches. However most of the HDT's and the MDT's were using the TS. And after doing a Google on the TS, we decided to go with the TS, it was a great decision. Whats great also it fits most bed rails, Valley/Huskey and Reese. Pull 4 pins and lift it out. The hitch is heavy but three men can remove it, I don't remember the weight. I very seldom remove the TS, but when I do we also just happen to have a John Deere tractor with a front loader and it does the job. And if and when you upgrade 5er's you don't have to remove the pin box the TS stays with the TV.... Good Luck on your Choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We have the Trailer Saver hitch and I just love it. The weight of the hitch is 280 pounds. With the dually a little extra weight isn't a problem. I have convinced myself that the truck rides better when unhitched because of the weight of the hitch in the bed.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
My profile tells you what I use. Also there is from Trail-Air a replacement rocker in the suspension that is well worth looking at. Its called Equa-Flex. I have talked to some MOC's and they really like them and I am going to install one soon.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What's the weight difference between Trailer Saver and the Equa-Flex? With a GMC 2500HD D/A 4x4, ExtC/LB, I am not crazy about adding any more weight than I have to...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
TRAILER SAVER is the air hitch and EQUA-FLEX replaces the rocker between the springs. please look at TRAIL-AIRS web site. Hopefully it is there and if not call them and have the info sent to you. EQUA-FLEX is a option on SOB. I think you will like what you see.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

TRAILER SAVER is the air hitch and EQUA-FLEX replaces the rocker between the springs. please look at TRAIL-AIRS web site. Hopefully it is there and if not call them and have the info sent to you. EQUA-FLEX is a option on SOB. I think you will like what you see.
You can look at the TrailerSaver Hitch on www.trailersaver.com

You can send an e-mail to Hensley Mfg at aaron@hensleymfg.com
Aaron Grayhek will answer all your questions. Tell him Orv Schinke told you to contact him. He's not going to pressure you but he will answer all your questions.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote