Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Rim Leak

I recently found I have an aluminum rim leaking air around the bead of the tire. It has lost about 15 lbs of air in a month. I used the Ole soap suds solution to find the problem. Has anyone encountered this problem? If so what was the solution?
Rick.

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think the simplest fix may be to: remove the wheel, deflate the tire, turn tire on rim and try again..At least this is probably the cheapest. Someone may have a different idea. Good luck! On second thought you might not have to remove the wheel, if you can turn the tire on the rim....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
YES. I have one tire that continues to go down when setting for days. I also checked the rim with soap as Glenn described to and found it was leaking. Worse in the winter when the tires are cold. If anyone knows of a fix, let us know. I check the air pressure everyting I leave a park. I carry a small 110v campbell compresser just for that reason.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This may sound dumb and there may be a better solution, but I would consider having the tire remounted and then tested (ole soap method). While broken down, a careful hand inspection of the rim and the tire surfaces for leak causing anomalies would certainly be in order.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Gonefishin,

I see this fairly frequently at the tire store. It can be caused by several things including debris between rim and tire bead, pitting of wheel, rust, and damaged tire beads. In most cases, all that is required is to dismount the tire, clean the mateing surfaces of the wheel and tire with a wire brush, and re-mount the tire. When there is pitting of the wheel caused by rust or corrosion, I apply a bead sealer compound to the wheel where the beads seat, before re-mounting the tire. If the bead of the tire has been damaged, ( sometimes happens during the mounting process ), replacement of the tire, or installation of a tube may be necessary. I don't recommend the use of a tube unless there is no other way.

On Edit - Stiles is on the right track.

Another thing I have occasionally found, is a series of very tiny holes around the bead area used for venting air pockets during the mfg process. Most of the time these holes are sealed during the final stages of mfg, but sometimes they leak. In this case the tire should be replaced at no charge to you, as it is a materials and workmanship problem.

Good luck with the leaks, and let us know what you find. Glenn may be along with more ideas.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks Lonnie
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not overlook the OEM valve stems(the rubber ones) all of mine leaked and had to be replaced...no problems since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, did you have your dealer do the tires and wheels for you before you took delivery?
I think it's a good idea putting metal stems in, I did it to my truck and have had no problems with air retention.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My dealer did not have the where with all to do that and although there were reports on this forum of leaky OEM valves & rims I figured I would give them a chance..wrong move..One leaked within 2 weeks the another one I could bend the valve stem and air came out so before we left on any long trip I took the remaining tires to my local tire guy and had him replace the valves.. and reseat the rims. He had already done that on the previous failures. Preventitive Maint..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Thanks for the replies. It looks like it will Be going over to the tire shop to have it checked out. From the sounds of it it looks like it should, should be an easy fix. I will keep you all posted on what I find out.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
There is a chance that you have a bad tire.
Ours was leaking since we got it and I would keep an eye on it.
Then this winter the tire blew out at the bead area, the area was about 6 inches long.
I am working on getting the tire replaced.
Will take the spare and mount it on the rim and put the replacement tire on as a spare.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
I have a 2005 Big Sky and after taking the aluminum rim and tire to my local repair shop twice it found out to be a flaw in the cast. Called Keystone and they ga.ve me the name of the company. Called them and they sent me four new rims since their was a recall on the rims
jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote