Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
A different battery exhaust question

After reading the sting on battery exhaust hoses it raised a question that maybe you all can help me with. I have modified my 3075rl by adding four golf cart 6 volt batteries into the front compartment designed for the generator. It is a sheet metal box with a floor that has narrow slits in it to allow for fresh air exchange, and I added two 1 1/2 inch vents in the door, but the batteries are not in battery boxes and therefor there are no vent hoses. Do you all think this is adequate ventalation? There is nothing in the compartment that would cause a spark, except a shunt that only measures current and a 500 amp fuse that has a plastic cover.

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did not vent the second battery and I feel that was a mistake. Luckily nothing happened. I would positively vent them. I believe the gasses rise so if your vent is not on the top then it may not properly vent the gasses. There are members who have a lot more knowledge on it than I do. They should be along soon.
Good luck and tow safe.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
gojodo, I would recommend top venting. If you have the landing gear motor (I know you do!) there is a source for ignition. I don't have the golf cart batteries but have 3 Group 27's and installed them into one of those plastic storage containers obtained at Office Depot as it was dimensionally perfect match. Cut a hole in top and installed plumbing connector from Home Depot to allow reconnection of Montana vent hose to this new "bigger" box. I also cut a hole to line up with bottom hole that old box used to sit over...gives this new one a place for any overflow to go.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Unless that box is ventilated to the OUTSIDE with no way for gases to enter the front compartment I would absolutely be making a change.

Copied from a page on battery care....Lead-acid batteries produce flammable hydrogen gas when being charged. This highly explosive gas, generated within the cells, will expand and seep out of the vent caps. A cigarette, tool, or spark from any source could ignite the gas, causing the battery to explode.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Vent the batteries, you can enclose them, and should, to prevent accidental shorting of terminals as well as the gas issues.
I would also spray the posts and hardware with the Red battery post protection.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
How many folks that think they have their battery boxes adequately vented are not. I found mine plugged solid with a mud dobber nest. I had to remove the vent hose and flush it with water. When I reinstalled the vent cover I inserted a piece of fiberglass screen wire behind the cover and trimmed it with a box blade knife. The screen can not be seen, but more important the mud dobbers can not get in the hose again.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You are venting Hydrogen gas H2. The stuff that the Hindenburg had in it. Highly flammable. H2 is lighter than air and will go up. The gas is primarily produced when charging the batteries while being plugged into shore power. Yes vent is important. I have a special battery in mine that recombines the hydrogen with oxygen putting the H2O back into the battery. Expensive though!
Low acid in batteries is caused by the constant overcharging of the batteries by the shore power converter. Once the battery is charged all the power going into the battery is converting the water in the battery to hydrogen and oxygen. I put a marine battery switch in my when I park mine plugged in to turn the charge off the battery. Works great!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote