Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Rear Ladder

My rear ladder has come loose. The top connection has pulled loose and away from the RV. It appears that the screws are loose. They will not tighten or unscrew. Does anyone have any experience in repairing this situation.

Thanks in advance

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Loosen the screws down from the loose ones, put a outwards strain on the ladder while unscrewing the original loose screws.
Use Oak sliver of wood dipped in epoxy in screw holes, let cure, then pilot drill screw holes with drill the same O.D. as the body of the screw minus the threads, hand tighten.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
OK, I got it. I will do as instructed and let youow how it goes. Thanks

kn
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Loosen the screws down from the loose ones, put a outwards strain on the ladder while unscrewing the original loose screws.
Use Oak sliver of wood dipped in epoxy in screw holes, let cure, then pilot drill screw holes with drill the same O.D. as the body of the screw minus the threads, hand tighten.
Good luck.
Ozz
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
OZZ

Is the screw something special?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Good luck.
Ozz
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Naa, probably Stainless, maybe just anodized.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Had a similar problem. 2 of the bolts twisted off when I tried to remove them. They were rusted in place.

I ended up removing the screws in the fiberglass mounting plates and replacing the bad star nuts inside the tubes(found them at a bicycle shop). The bolts are just plated steel and the star nuts are just bare steel, so it is a recipe for disaster as there is nothing to keep moisture out of there.

I packed the mounting tubes with waterproof grease when I reinstalled. Might have been a mistake, since the star nuts depend on friction to dig into the aluminum for a grip. Time will tell - but still tight after 2 years now, so much better than original. And I feel safe on the ladder again.

I seem to remember that someone here just put longer bolts and nuts made of stainless through the whole assembly at each standoff. That is probably a better solution than mine.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote