Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #1
judanl

M.O.C. #3708
Hydraulic Slide-out system stops multiple times

I have a 2005 3295RK. About a year ago I noticed fluid in the hydraulic motor pan in the front compartment; subsequently the dealer replaced the motor due to a leak found. Since then, the slide-out system has started stopping multiple times during either the in or out cycle. Last week, after wintewrizing the unit, the slide system stopped 8 times trying to close it; sometimes a slide would travel less then 6 inches before shutting down. I have to wait a while, and sometimes even reverse the slide direction momentarily, to get it to continue to operate. The bedroom slide normally works fine, but the dining room and kitchen slides stop. It used to be that the kitchen slide moves second, but now either back slide can start moving after the bedroom slide finishes.
Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions as to the cause and possible solution?
You help is appreciated.

judanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Could be the fuses, inline, been talked about here a few times, try a search, be SURE to click ARCHIVES.

Or, try to contact MIMF here on the forum.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
judanl,
It sounds like there may be air trapped in the system that didn't get properly bled out when the new pump was installed. If that is the case, it should clear itself up after a few cycles. Just one place to start looking.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you have the manual shut off valves just off the hydraulic pump ... make sure they are all fully open ... dealer may have "adjusted" them for you. After the breaker located below the pump in the front compartment trips a few times it starts to get weak. You may need to replace it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I had same problem on my 2955RL. Checked all connections and fluid, but MIMF (Dale) suggested replacing the 50A auto-reset breaker (on the bulkhead below the pump w/red cover). For $4.59 I got a replacement from RV dealer and Voila! Works great. I also bought a spare. Just be sure to disconnect the battery (Neg.) before installing. Takes less than 10 minutes!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The circuit breaker is bad. You need to replace it and be sure it is heavy enough 70-100 amps. When I did mine I piggybacked 2 40 amp breakers[40+40= 80 amps. and that stopped the problem. This was told by MIMF to do. If the dealer doesn't know this,well do what you need to.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I guess I didn't realize it had an auto reset breaker. That would explain why it would work again after waiting a bit. Sorry.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Hmmmm, now I have to go look and see where my breaker is. I have heard of this before. Luckily, I have not had this problem so far.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On our 3295RK the circuit breaker was too low a rating. Keystone replaced it with the correct breaker. A year or two later we had some similar problems but this time it was the slide mechanisms needing lubing. Once that was done, no more problems. Just lube it once per year or so. But use a lubricant that will not attract dirt.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
All my slides work on one valve since our unit is considered and "oldie." However, I wouldn't worry about which slide goes in second after the bedroom slide. It all depends on the amount of resistance that the slide mechanism experiences. For example, your rig might be tilting off level to one side or the other just a teensy bit and this would cause the slide on the "high" side to beging to go in right after the bedroom slide. Nothing to worry about.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
There you go folks, you've got it figured out!

judanl, if you need more help, send me a PM. I'll do what I can.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I would strongly suggest that you buy the SLIDE OUT SLICKERS. They make the slide outs slide so much easier. They are made by LIPPERT,the same ones that made the slide out and the frame. I have a 3475[3 slides] and use them on the two that slide on the carpet. You will not be able to use them on the bed room but if I could I certainly would.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Montana_6559

M.O.C. #6559
Had similer problem on our 03-2880 talked to Dale Brubaker @ lippert phone# 866-524-7821 ext 4542 ( they make the pump). He started me on replacing in line fuse with 80 amps this did not solve my problem.On my pump i have a electric selinoid thatI suspected was bad asked if he would sale me one.He said no -- but I'll mail you one no charge they even paided shipping I installed the new one and slides worked as advertised I hope this gets back to you as my computer skills suck
Montana_6559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #14
judanl

M.O.C. #3708
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

There you go folks, you've got it figured out!

judanl, if you need more help, send me a PM. I'll do what I can.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
judanl

M.O.C. #3708
Well, it sounds like we know what is wrong, and how to fix it with a new breaker. Thanks to all who contributed.
I see a couple of possibilities as to WHY it happened: 1). Keystone does not put a big enough auto-reset circuit breaker in the line (but anything beyond 50 amps is manual reset), so maybe a piggyback of two 30's or 40's? 2). The slides are in bad need of lubrication: does the manual state just how to lube them, and which lube doesn't collect dirt?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

I would strongly suggest that you buy the SLIDE OUT SLICKERS. They make the slide outs slide so much easier. They are made by LIPPERT,the same ones that made the slide out and the frame. I have a 3475[3 slides] and use them on the two that slide on the carpet. You will not be able to use them on the bed room but if I could I certainly would.
Actually, you can use them on the bedroom slide...you just have to cut them down to fit.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #17
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My breaker has been acting up for about a month. I am trying to get Keystone or Lippert to send me a new one through a local dealer. I found out that Lippert gets these breakers from a couple of different suppliers. Lippert has had this breaker breakdown for several years on different models. I took mine off it is mounted on top of the pump motor on my unit. This is just my opinion, but I beleive some of these breakers are to small for the slides they are trying to push.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judanl

Well, it sounds like we know what is wrong, and how to fix it with a new breaker. Thanks to all who contributed.
I see a couple of possibilities as to WHY it happened: 1). Keystone does not put a big enough auto-reset circuit breaker in the line (but anything beyond 50 amps is manual reset), so maybe a piggyback of two 30's or 40's? 2). The slides are in bad need of lubrication: does the manual state just how to lube them, and which lube doesn't collect dirt?
MIMF2 recommends silicone lubricant. Keystone gave me a can of TFE 101 back when they worked on our rig a year and a half ago. Silicone should be fine.

To lube it, spray the lube on the teeth on the bottom of each of the two square tubes on each slide. Then spray some into the gearpack the that run that square tube in and out. I did only the slides with the exposed tubes. No need to lube the shiny round chrome tube although it's not a bad idea to wipe it off if dirty. Our slides would also get jumpy when moving when they needed lubing.

You can test a lube by spraying some on some cardboard then sprinkle dirt on it. Turn the cardboard upside down to see if the dirt sticks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote