Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
racer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3427
trailer movemont

I'm haveing troble with movemont while set up when wife or self walk in the camper you can feel it have jacks down but knot to tight dosn't make differance with or without tripod under frt end 5th whl any help ! thanks

racer

racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
some things to help. Put more blocks under front legs. I added 8 inches and movement decreased sig nificantly.
Tighten up rear stabilizers. I have been cautioned not to tighten then too much or they will bend but U weight 240 lbs and am in pretty good helth and I have not been able to bend them with all my strength using the provided handle. I woull not try using a wrench.
I have tried using a tripod, loaned to me, and it didn't help at all that I could tell.

I HAVE, HOWEVER, used a small platform under hitch pin. (also loaned.) I lifted the fromt end with the kanding gear, slid the platform under it, adjusted the height so it took a lot of the trailer weight, then lowered onto it. It helped but not enough that I wanted to keep the platfor or haul it around.
I think there is inherent ande necessary flex in the frame that will prevent riding you of all movement. Shoot, even my stick house had some frame flex.

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Racer
The chocks that go between the tires will stop a great deal of the movement. They are easy to install and take off. CW sells two different brands. We bought the more expensive ones based on reviews on the CW web site. Ed had resisted buying these because they are expensive but now he is a firm believer. Best money we have spent on the Monty along with the washer/dryer.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check out this site www.jtrv.com I ordered a set of these and am going to pick them up this afternoon. Hopefully I can install them before we go to Oregon in Sept.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL
2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab. 4X4

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Try this one www.jtrv.com/
Doug your needs the , removed after the / You put in the comma at the end of the URL and it became part of the tag. When posting a URL any . , or whatever should be at least one space away.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Doug
Couldn't find price anywhere. Do you want to share?
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
racer click the following link to see my stabilizing routine..

http://fulltimingit.irv2.com/stabilizing.html

Works for me!

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Glenn, thank for the tip on posting a www.

Sue, $499.99 plus tax. and installation. I am going to install mine myself, but the dealer said it takes them about 2 hours at $95.00 per hour.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL

Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Glenn,

I'll second the frame stabilizers [aka "Screw Jacks"]: most of the motion we experience comes from the "give" of the springs - not any flexing of the frame - and, a little, of the tires.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
racer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3427
thanks for all the help will try frame jacks next week i have all the rest of thing you said! all help appreciated

racer
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I use Glenn's method of stabilizing. We had several sets of frame jacks left over from previous campers and we had 4 sets, that would be 8 jacks spaced along the camper in addition to the Bal wheel chocks, The pin stabilizer and the rear stabilizer jacks..Guess what...it still moved some , It's a camper attached to the ground by the rubber on the bottom of four wheels. We also have 4 slides hanging over the frame..it will still move some no matter what.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Doug,

Don't forget to come back and let us know how those worked.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We are, at this moment, at the most stable this Montana has ever been. I attribute that to some tricks I picked up from other members, especially Al of CountryGuy. Here's what we did.

The front landing gear are on about four or five inches of 2x10's. I ran the gear way down and then dropped the inner leg. It is only dropped two or three inches. I think that's one of the keys.

Second, the rear stabilizers are out at a good angle, not extended a long ways. It takes several blocks to attain this. I lowered them to snug on each side, then 1/2 turn more on each side.

Third, I drop the scissor jacks we have behind the rear wheels. These also are on several inches of blocks. I run these down to just barely snug. We've found these jacks totally stop the up and down movement.

Fourth, I installed the kingpin stabilizer to just snug. Any more than snug takes pressure off the landing gear and cause them to be less effective.

I do not know if I can ever duplicate this exactly again but it sure is nice right now.

Almost forgot. We have the BAL between wheel chocks on both sides and also one of those yellow triangular chocks at each wheel.

As Rich said, there will always be some movement. At this point it is almost imperceptible. Normally we have more movement than this. I will in the future try to duplicate this success, though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I have the stabiliziers and had the put on in the Los Angeles area. You need to check prices on installation mine cost more than the should have, Doug has the right idea.

Bill
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Question: Do the frame screw jacks need to take any weight. I mean, you can buy the two ton variety easily at the neighborhood auto parts store a lot cheaper than from CW. But if each jack needs to take 3-4 tons then I will need to get them from CW.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you're talking the scissor type jacks, we only snug them. We do not use them to lift or to level. Thus the only weight on them would be when we walk around the rig. I would think any jack that will keep the frame from moving up and down would be effective. Those triangular travel trailer jacks you can get at Walmart, set of 4 for $38, also work well. I used them for awhile then went to the permanently mounted scissor jacks to avoid some setup/breakdown work.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Question: Do the frame screw jacks need to take any weight. I mean, you can buy the two ton variety easily at the neighborhood auto parts store a lot cheaper than from CW. But if each jack needs to take 3-4 tons then I will need to get them from CW.
Mike
Absolutely NOT. Just snug them up against the frame but not so snug they start lifting the rig.

One last thought on the remaining movement.

We are living in a TRAILER and short of jacking it up and putting all the weight on concrete blocks and off of the tires, stabilizers and jacks nothing will get rid of every bit of movement.

If you want an absolutely sure way to get rid of all the movement and to move around without any of the jiggle what so ever would be to sell the Monty and move back into a stick house.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
How lucky I am. I can go for weeks without putting down the rear stabilizers and my wife doesn't even notice it

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #19
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Dhenry

I have that setup you are going to love it. But be sure to do the setup as instructed. Took 97% of movement away. Wife Loves them, I can now go in and out of camper and not wake her from camper movement. TO me the best thing I have bought for the camper and they take maybe 5 more minutes in setting up the camper.

ken

Ken and Barb. Ia.
2005 Montana 3475RL
2005 Silverardo 3500 CC SRW DMax LLY White
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #20
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well I installed my JTStrong Stabilizers today and must say it took longer than I anticipated. The instructions are pretty good, but you guys know we like pictures more than reading instructions. The instructions are lacking pictures so I had to read the instructions I did call Jim Thorpe to clarify the installation of the rear stabilizer and must tell you that he was great to deal with, he gave me additional information to help save time and answered my questions completely. So now that I have them installed, I extended them and tightened the T handles, went inside and WOW!!!what a difference. They took most of the movement out and I really do not have it set up properly yet. Can't wait until I get to Truckee this weekend to really try them out. I do have to hook up tomorrow to see if my landing gear will retract enough to clear the two 6" PVC tubes I have mounted behind them. If it does not clear I will move them behind the stabilizers. Should not be a problem doing that.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL