Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Confession - I dropped the Montana!

Okay, I'm now ready to tell the full story. Some of you already know this. I dropped the Montana on my truck while setting up in the dark in Quartzsite in January. No one was hurt, thankfully. And all is well now, after repairs were done in February.

The story: I had planned to drive from Yuma to Quartzsite on Jan. 19. However, the previous day I had lunch with my cousin Ann (another full-time RVer) who said there was a wind advisory for the next day and suggested I go on to Quartzsite that afternoon. I took her advice after finishing my grocery shopping, and drove the 100 miles to Quartzsite, arriving around dusk. In setting up when it was starting to get dark, I needed the help of friends' flashlights to see what I was doing. But I still couldn't see well enough. Either I hit the wrong button on the hydraulic jack controller after lifting the 5th wheel off the hitch, or the control unit malfunctioned. When I went to move the truck forward, the jacks were in "Store" mode, putting the weight back on the hitch, and the trailer fell on the bed rails of the truck! OUCH!!! The result was two big dents in the truck rails and some minor damage to the underside of the trailer.

It's against my custom to set up in the dark, but I had a couple of 'helpers' distracting me. There was no reason for me to set up right then. I should have just waited until morning. At least nobody was hurt, even though one of my friends was too close for comfort, as I later learned. If he'd been hurt, I never would have forgiven myself.

Ah, well, that's what insurance is for, and I've been paying for a long time without a claim. With only a $250 deductible, I was happy to let Allstate pay the rest of the $5200 bill. A great shop called Smitty's (family owned for several generations) in Yuma did the work in 1-1/2 weeks, ontime as promised, and half the time other shops estimated, plus they did an excellent job, replacing both rear quarter panels and even repairing a small dent on the tailgate at the same time. I stayed in a Yuma RV park with my cousins so I could ride with them to WalMart, etc. All this happened at a good time, within a 'window' that allowed me to attend Winterblast in Lake Havasu City, get the truck repaired, then visit friends in Phoenix and attend Life on Wheels in Tucson in mid-March.

Meanwhile, life goes on... and you'd never know there had ever been a problem by looking at the truck. The Montana graphics on the doors were untouched and the truck is as good as new.

I hope my story will help prevent similar problems for somebody out there in Montana land!

Before:

After:

P.S. Allstate determined that this was a case of "an object falling" on the truck, so it was covered under comprehensive, with no increase in my premium.

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Are you going to get a Bedsaver, Sharon?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Maybe, but this will never happen again! LOL!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sharon,

Funny, but I bet you said that before this time too. I just posted on your original thread that maybe I should re-consider a bedsaver, I've never "needed" one either, although I did have a minor mishap with my old Dutchmen. I think I'd kill myself if I dropped my new Monty.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One question, how were you able to keep that a secret this long?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
ONE WORD! BEDSAVER! Glad no one was hurt. That could have been really horrible.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sharon, you're the first person I've ever heard of that could keep a secret that long! Glad no one was hurt. This is just another case where we should follow our instincts. You really didn't want to set up in the dark. I don't either, so I try to avoid it. If it's late, I just get as level as I can and wait until morning.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Oh Gypsy..... did Dave Anderson ply you with margaritas at the Mexican food dinner tonite (at the Lake Siskiyou Rally) and you finally came clean with this?...*LOL

I am so glad that no one was hurt and you were able to get it all fixed to your satisfaction.

It was great to see you at the Lake Siskiyou Rally..... the "Meet & Greet" you organized was awesome! We are sad that we had to leave and come back home today. We really enjoyed ourselves, but then, with that group... how can a person not have fun?

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sharon,
The most important thing is nobody got hurt. Trucks and rv's can be replaced. Sure glad that Alstate took care of you and has your truck looking good as new. This is a good reminder for all of us, anything can happen to anyone. Does not matter how much experience you do or do not have.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Most important NO ONE WAS HURT. Sure hate to see anything like that happen to any unit but especially to such a good looking truck. I use to always butt in to help others and finally a friend pulled me aside and explained the problems of breaking a routine. I am finding it more true myself. Now I will ignore others until I am set up. Just like backing up. I only follow my one designated spotter except when reacting to all yells of STOP!
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Glad you are back to normal..however your experience is a fine example of why a bedsaver is a good investment (165.00 or so vs 5,400) and since that was an at fault accident will bet your insurance rates will go up considerably. Although new at fiving, we do not plan on dropping the camper, I always double and triple check, I never make mistakes, my equipment will never malfunction...We DO have a bedsaver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 AM   #12
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Definitely, lessons learned. And to those who recommend a bedsaver, you're right, suspenders *and* a belt are a good idea.

Yes, Glenn and Orv - I *can* keep a secret. Got any to share with me?

Margee - No, Dave Anderson didn't ply me with Margaritas; he didn't even go with us to the Mexican restaurant but stayed home to grill steaks with Kelly. Must have been afraid of getting the check again! It was great seeing you, too.

John Kohl - Glad you learned not to offer or accept help unless you hear STOP! I usually try to control that, but will be more diligent in the future. It's common for guys to want to help single women, and they are well-meaning but often get in the way. If someone says "Can I help?" then I can either give them a specific task or say "No thanks, I can handle it."

Richfaa - see my P.S. at the bottom of the photos. No insurance premium increase.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Sharon, your posting has served as a very good reminder to us all. Glad everything turned out well, no one hurt, vehicles can be repaired! As I get older I find it is best to be alone when doing the set up or take down. Definately a well meaning neighbour or friend wanting to visit during this process lends to things going wrong. Guess I just can't focus on the lob at hand as well as I used to.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a "at fault" incident involving the car..My fault should have used more caution..My premium did not increase until the next full year premium was due. Example the policy ran from May05 to May06.We paid quarerly.The incident occured in June 05. The premimun did not increase till May 06. You can check with your company..IF they rule it a " at fault accident" you premimums will increase. And..Some companies say they will "forgive" the first claim. You need to ask what is the $ limit..In our case the "forgive limit was 1500.00 the bill was 2100.00..they forgave nothing..We had never had a claim in all the years we used this insurance..no difference...rules are rules..The insurance companies will get their money back...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think most of these accidents involve a distraction and it's usually people standing around the rig. That's the way it was in our incident. We feel much more secure with our Bedsaver.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #16
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Rich, While you may be right, my Allstate agent specifically told me there would be no premium increase. And this information was volunteered, without my asking the question. I hope he's right. Past experience with this company has been positive, so I have no reason to expect otherwise. Over the time I've been paying them premiums, they've more than gotten their money back.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since we also have Allstate I was glad to hear they took care of the repairs. Excellent job on the repairs. I agree with your statement about distractions when setting up or taking down. We all want to help each other but maybe the best way to do that is stand back unless asked for help. BTW we love your new awning, Sharon.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Sharon, so sorry to read about your mishap. Looks like "President Palmer" is right - you are in good hands with Allstate!~
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gypsy..Hope you are right also..If so we may switch to Allstate.. The at fault accident happend in my driveway..I backed my truck into my car. NOt only at fault but stupid..
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Gypsy,
You've done a marvelous job of keeping it under wraps for so long. I am so glad no one got hurt and they were able to fix everything like new!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote