Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
Fantastic FAN

Rich,

In your earlier post you said a vent cover on the Fantastic Fan is a No-No. Why? I know it will prevent the fan from closing in the event of rain, but is that a problem if you have a cover and the rain won't come in? Or will it?

Mary

mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
According to the manufacture (I spoke with them at the rally) the vent cover reduces it's effectiveness in moving air. If I remember correctly they said it reduced their efficiency by about 40%.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

I really am glad I posted that last week, or whenever before I put the cover on mine. It does make sense about reducing airflow if you think about it.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the MaxxAir cover on my fantastic fan vent. I have not noticed any problems with having the fan covered, but this is my opinion...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I don't think you will notice any problems it will just reduce the air flow, it is not allowing the air to move the way it was designed to, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As has been stated above it will reduce the air flow and that is why we have the fantastic fan, It may interfere with the opening of the unit and it may/will prevent it from closing when it rains.There were enough reduces, may's, could's and would's in the conversation to convince me not to put a cover on the fan.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Different strokes for different folks. I actually do not use my fantastic fan much other than when someone is showering or I am boiling water in the coach. The main reason I do not use it much is because it creates a pretty good breeze through the coach. On the warm spring days it is nice to have, but when the temps rise it really does not do much other than pull more hot air into the coach. That is the reason I had the 2nd a/c installed, now the coach should be like a freezer in there. =) Rich is correct, if the MaxxAir cover is not positioned correctly, it will not allow the vent to open all the way. As far as if it is raining or not, it does not matter if the vent closes or not. The cover does not allow any water in, plus I like to use it to keep the moisture from building up inside while it is raining. The other reason I like the MaxxAir covers is they protect the vent lids from the extreme elements, thus I should not have to worry about having to replace them anytime in the upcoming years.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have a cover on ours and have not had any problems..We really only run it while showering and cooking....we like the MaxxAir covers b/c they protect the vent lids from branches and falling stuff...one couple that we know didnt have them and parked under a tree w/nuts and when they fell they put holes in the vent covers.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote