Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, in terms of leveling, I was wondering what the "travel" distance is for each of the additional "feet" added (beyond the landing gear)? Most modern camp ground sites are pretty close to level, but some of the older places have some sites (our experience) that would challenge a mountain goat! With these sites, the need for some significant "travel" on the added jacks would be obvious. For example, one place we stayed at in Virginia was so off level that we had two feet of blocking under one side of the trailer, and yes, it took a lot of going back and forth before our doors operated properly. So the issue is in order to have that kind of "travel" it would seem the added jacks might ride pretty low on the fifth wheel trailer. What do you think, Ozz? Michael

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You got me there, but I would pass on a two feet site, I would worry that after a few Coronas, I would tumble down the hill.
I think there would be a limit on any system, if there is enough travel to lift the tires, I would be happy with it, that is enough for this old country boy.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We also have the Lippert system. At the time and all things considered equal, we were looking at $2400 vs $5000. I'm sure that the Big Foot people love theirs as do the Lippert people. With that said, we went with the auto level system because it is just getting too much of a hassel to unhook and set up for a one or two night stay. We found ourselves staying hooked so we would not have to go through the routine of putting down boards, leveling and still have to deal with bouncing a wiggle even though we had the JT system.

With the level up we can unhook and stabilize within minutes. We are no longer captive to our Monty. We have been through the course of setting up and tearing down tents, pop ups, class C, travel trailer, and two 5vers. This was money well spent.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Hope no one thinks I was "bashing" any of the auto level systems...the concept of auto leveling strikes me as "the way to go," but I was wondering about its ability to level in really unlevel terrain.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I'll add a quick note. I had my rear jacks positioned a bolt hole higher as I didn't want them extending below the steps when retracted. As many know, the 2955s are known to drag the steps in a big dip or trying to get into a spot that has quite an incline (I know, bent mine several times, last time had to remove the steps to be able to hammer them back into shape. So I didn't want to take the chance of hurting the rear jacks. As a result I have alittle less lift, but still more than enough to lift the rear wheels several inches off the ground when on fairly level ground. Carrying a few 12x12 pieces of wood is a lot less than previously needed.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can guaranty that there are sites that require more travel than any system has. Both Big Foot and LevelUP have travel limitations requiring additional lift to be able to level. We found a site in Kentucky that even though it was a paved surface, the surface was so slanted it required two 2X12 blocks to level up. Every rig there had to use blocks whether fifth wheel or motor home.

The vertical travel information is usually posted on the specs in the advertising brochures. Compare.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Hope no one thinks I was "bashing" any of the auto level systems...the concept of auto leveling strikes me as "the way to go," but I was wondering about its ability to level in really unlevel terrain.
[/quote
In really unlevel spots you may have to tweak it a bit by raising one side or the other using both the front and back levelers at the same time on the low side.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
It's too cold to go out and look at my Lippert info. but I'm pretty sure it states that the ground needs to be fairly level in order for the system to work properly. In other words don't throw away all of your lumber. Even with the extra large feet I would hesitate to drop them in a soft environment w/o putting something solid underneath.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote