Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
water heater

having an issue with the water heater while on gas. The burner will fire up and run anywhere from 30 seconds to around 2 minutes and then shut off. Sometimes it re-ignites and goes another 30 seconds but usually just tries to relight and then locks out. I can shut the switch off and then back on and the above sequence repeats itself. Any ideas?

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil and Rudee,
Are you also heating the water with electricy? If so it could be as simple as the thermometer at first does not recognize the temp so kicks on the burner. Then as it runs it detects water temp and kicks off.

Are other propane devices experiencing any problems. For instance does the furnace start and then cycle off after just a few minutes? Or do you get a nice clean blue burning stove burner? If not then perhaps a blockage or cold temps could be causing a problem.

Then there is the ever present 'bad regulator'. A number of folks have simply replaced the regulator and all was well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
The problem occurs when it is set to only heat on gas, electric is off. Don't think it would be the thermometer since it tries to come on and finaly locks out. I'm thinking it may be a gas supply issue or the "valve" in the heater that turns the gas supply on and off?

I have a nice blue flame on the stove but have not tried the furnace.

Anyway to know for sure if the regulator might be bad?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil and Rudee,
I don't know the answer to the "for sure" is it the regulator. But someone should be along soon that will have that info for you. By the way this sounds a lot like the problem I had with my furnace. The problem with it turned out to be a bad control board. Replaced and all is well with the world.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Phil, Have you tried turning the propane off, and bleeding the line.Then remove the bottle,tap it on a block of wood on the ground to make sure the check valve hasn't closed. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Phil, Mine quit last year and I had to have a new gas valve installed. All was well after that. I took the gas line off and tried to cycle it and no gas flowed thru the valve. About a 100 dollars replacement by a certified RV Tech......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had that problem in Florida last winter... Turned out to be low gas flow and a bad regulator. It did not effect the stove or the fridge. It did effect the furnace. IF the furnace does the same thing it MAY well be the regulator.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
thanks Rich I'll give the furnace a try and see what it does.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
You might also check the burner and pilot to make sure it is clean.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Update: called Suburban and they seemed to think it was the igniter element. The element not only lights the gas but also is a flame sensor and if it does not "sense" that the burner is lit will shut off the gas flow.
Drove the 40 miles (one way!) to Campers World and picked one up. It was an easy change out but did not fix the problem :-(
I guess I have a spare element now.
Broke down and called a mobile repair guy who came by yesterday afternoon. Changed out the circuit board but still no go. Put my circuit board back in and fiddled around with the gas valve. He showed me where he could wiggle the valve and it would shut off and then he could wiggle it again to get it to come on. Of course he didn't have the right valve and is ordering one. Says he will be back the first of next week to replace the valve.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
There are two solenoid valves for the gas in the water heater. If I remember (it happened to us), the resistance will be open on the bad one. Replace this valve, if you can find a source for them. If not, buy a new valve assembly (it will have both solenoids and the tubing) and replace. If you do buy the assembly, keep the good solenoid for the next time.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Thanks for info. I know which one he was wiggling to make it act up (the bad one) so I'll make sure I keep the good one.

Thanks.

Phil
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Glad you found it was the valve and not something else. At least you will have it fixed soon......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote