Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Replacing Water Heater Tank

Have been getting standing water inside the outer door to water heater.
Have replace, anode road, pipe dope, tape etc, also on the pressure relief valve. Thought it was coming out of the fittings, it is not.
It is wet around the tank area where it comes through where the anode rod is.
Did a search and found where a couple change there tank in BC also in a 2006 3400RL.
I have found info on buying the whole unit, everything is fine, but only need new tank.
Any help would be appreciated as to where to look or fined a replace tank.
Thanks,
E. Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Before replacing the hot water heater (or tank if possible), I would want to be double darn sure the water isn't coming from the pressure relief valve. It is normal for those valves to emit water and it pools in the bottom just like you found. Try piping (I have no suggestions on how to do this) the output side of the valve somewhere else and see if the puddles disappear.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Carl,
Thanks for the response.
Nothing is coming out of the relief valve, after the unit came up to temperature, I know I could of blown up something with over pressure, I put a plug in the outlet part of the relief valve and still got water in the bottom.
The stem area of the anode rod is damp/wet.
Again I have had both out and doped and taped and installed.
Where we are full time, I am trying to look at all my options before I pull things apart.
I can not find any part in owners manual, parts list on line or anyplace where you can just buy the tank.
Of course I am asking the question on a Friday night!!
Thanks Again
E. Sven
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
I replaced my tank this year as it was leaking.The kitchen area was all wet. If the tank is leaking, you will find water on the inside under the tank (as I did). If it is leaking on the front, I don't think it is the tank. Check the threads on your anode rod. Also, go inside and check under the tank area. Let the tank cool, then heat it up and watch the outside. The increased pressure from heating should help you indentify the leak area.
Good luck.
If the tank does need replacing, it is not too difficult to replace.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
camping world for one sells them. I think there are only 2 brands that are used. also do a google search for the brand name and you will come up with several suppliers
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
[quote]Originally posted by carlson

Have been getting standing water inside the outer door to water heater.
Have replace, anode road, pipe dope, tape etc, also on the pressure relief valve. Thought it was coming out of the fittings, it is not.
It is wet around the tank area where it comes through where the anode rod is.
Did a search and found where a couple change there tank in BC also in a 2006 3400RL.
I have found info on buying the whole unit, everything is fine, but only need new tank.
Any help would be appreciated as to where to look or fined a replace tank.

We had to replace our two month old tank. It had a bad weld, was leaking from the bottom.

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sometimes the relief valve will let water out if it's too hot.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Thanks all for your reply's.
If you look at the area of the anode rod, the fitting that is welded onto the tank that comes though the exterior panel.
That is where the water appears to come from.
I will wipe up the water and not use the heater all day and in a few hours there is standing water.
The water is collecting in the bottom of the outer panel and the silicone caulking, it makes like a little well.
I have put in 2 new anodes rods, thinking the thread is cut too deep. no luck, replaced the pressure relief valve.
I even used small twine (plumbers use it to make thread the threads tighter) alone with dope and tape.
I have done everything I can think of to do.
Where we full time, would like to get info on is the tank available to purchase alone, or do you have to buy a whole unit. Before I take the unit out.
Thanks again for any help.
E. Sven

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I don't think you will have a choice on buying the whole unit. Have you tried to call or write the maker and see if they would just sell you the tank? It's a long shot but you never know.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I have done a lot of internet searches.
Did not come up with a lot of info on changing tank only.
Of course, when did I start looking Friday, not smart on my part.
so I posted on Montana site to see if anyone had replaced just the tank.
I will make calls in the morning to see what I can find out an a friend has a mobile RV service business and will contact him.
Will keep you all posted on what I found out.
Again thanks for the reply's, I have tried everything but pulling the the whole unit out, I think that is next,
Thanks again
E. Sven
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
One more thought on this. If you can drain the tank, clean around the bung with a wire brush or sand paper,make sure it is good and dry, get a small tube of GE pure silicone caulk. Not window and door stuff,it is a high end sealant. work it in all around edge and let it set up for about 8 hours if possible. If anything can seal it short of welding it or replacemnt,this is the stuff. But you need to make sure it is clean and dry. just a thought.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Racerjoe,
The thing I like about the forum, it gives you ideas.
I do annual testing of fire pumps on fire apparatus.
I have a Rigid SeeSnake, a camera lens on a probe with light and a small screen.
I will pull both plugs tommrrow and see if I can see anything inside the tank, also look aroound where I can to see if I can see anything.
Also make some call and see if I can get info.
Again, thanks
E. Sven
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I AM A DUMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I have said, I have taken the anode rod and pressure relief out, replace rod, cleaned up all threads.
I put the pressure relief valve on the wire wheel and cleaned it up.
My wife had the water heater on, we have to use gas as we are at the end of the power line and have low voltage when people are at camp.
Tonight I am out checking things around the rig, look at the mitt I have in the bottom of the water heater and it is wet, first time today.
I stand there and looked, looked and looked, and there was a drip out of the pressure relief valve.
Well I looked real close at the end of the pressure relief valve and I had cleaned up the old pressure relief valve so well that, I reinstalled it, not the new one!!!
Carl and other, you were right.
When on gas for heating water, it gets hotter than on electric, well the drip from the relief valve was just before the gas burner shut down, where the water and tank are the hottest.
That is when the dam pressure relief leaked.
Thank you all for your help.
E. Sven
Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Everyone has one of those days. Welcome to the CRS club :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Racerjoe,
The worst thing about this is around July 1st I started working for Home Depot, seasonal part time in the plumbing department.
I have recommenced to people that say there pressure relief valve leaks and sold them a new one and I actually bought one for mine.
As I said tonight I look real good at the pressure relief valve and saw the old disk on the end and said a few choice words.
I am also the one that posted at the mice, two nights ago, heard the dreaded scratching sound under the stairs, set the traps and got one, I hope he was alone, so far so good.
I have had one one of those months.
E. Sven