Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Illusive Mouse

The other night my wife said she heard a mouse in the closet, she open the door and screamed and shut the door.
I went and looked, no mouse, no evidence of the mouse. I cleaned everything out of the closet and no mouse, put the trap out no mouse.
Tonight I go into the closet and there the mouse was looking at me. I have to admit to my wife that I was wrong!!.
Where did he come from???
I watched and he climbed up the racks to the top shelve and onto to box and was gone.
Where did he go???
He went up the vent that is in the ceiling of the closet, that is the vent for the area behind the electrical panel.
How did he get there??
Opened up under the stairs and the wall is all open on the bottom for the water lines (washer/dryer) and electrical.
Another area to put spray foam into to block up!!!
E. Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
WE got one in ours, I had got a bag of mixed nuts, in the shell, well he got into them and not only did we hear him at nite I found where he hid them all over. The decon did better then the traps, he liked the peanutbutter!!! just the other day I found one under the sink floor. This was two years later!! Lots of steel wool around the many openings
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Some of us are blessed with mice. I hate them! I have done a lot to keep them out. I have found that if they have a way in and you fill it with foam, they will dig right through the foam. Foam works if they have not been in yet.
Steel wool works but we move around a lot so with slides in and out it is hard to plug those holes every time we move. I have also tried to block the floor penetrations. I have electronic ultrasound devices.
Anyway I have tried all the fixes and they still seem to get in once and a while.
My daughter has a Cougar 5th wheel. Had it for 5 years, has done nothing to keep the mice out, and never gets them!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
If we park our Montana at the end of our driveway, which is next to the woods, we get mice in the Fall. Parking it next to our garage or in the back yard, No mice. Sometimes we have to park it next to woods for room. So......I carry 4 mouse traps with a jar of peanut butter with us!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
bitterbrook
Established Member

M.O.C. #10326
I was camping in my old motorhome years ago and was sleeping on the sofa (more comfortable than the bed). The end of the sofa was very low to the floor since the platform for the driver's seat was right there. I dreamed that someone was pulling my hair out. Woke up in time to see a mouse run down the side of the sofa with a hank of MY HAIR in its jaw. Probably building a nest; but I got him later in the day.
bitterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I leave sticky traps in our rig and just check on them once in awhile. So far in 4 1/2 years we have caught two.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Mouse Update,
At 5 am this morning, I heard a scream from the living room, yes my wife gets up early.
The mouse was no longer up above the closet, it came down the wall and out under the stairs and headed to the back of the 5th wheel.
Anyways, out came the traps and peanut butter, a hour later, heard a SNAP, left it for a couple minutes, and checked.
At this time Carlson 1 / Mouse 0.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a mouse in our 3400, same place. Bought one of those sticky traps and it was firmly stuck to the stuff the next day.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Another update,
Carlson 2 / mouse 0
Went to expansion foam again, foam in the wall opening under the stairs, took cover off the left rear corner where the water lines come in, foam that.
The next thing is the removable panel in the basement to get to the furnace and water pump.
Where it is cool on some nights, I am going add an insulation panel to the removable panel to plug up the holes.
All other holes filled.
E. Sven
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Haven't had a mouse problem yet but I have two terriers that love to hunt. Most likely, I wouldn't know about a mouse problem before they eliminated it.

I found my male in my yard one morning holding a big rabbit in his jaws. The rabbit was long enough to extend out to his rear legs. Boy, was he proud! His tail was nearly touching the back of his head. A year later he got sprayed two times by a wandering skunk. Yuk! Then one day I went out to find him with the skunk in his jaws. He didn't get sprayed this time, must have figured out he had to get it from head on.

Their favorite is chipmunks which our cat delivers to them, half dead. Mice? Not a chance!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Have you ever wondered why we're so afraid of mice and why we try with all our might to get close to bears for pics? I fear for us sometimes.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Do you know how to get rid of the shunk smell???
No it is not tomato juice.
Go to the drug store and pick up a few bottle of masengile douche, honest to god, it works.
The other thing that works is Arm & Hammer powder, hydrogen-peroxide and a little dawn dish soap.
One of the things in the northeast, years back when there was a lot of rabbies in animals, it took the raccoon, skunk, and small animals population down dramatically. As you drive down the road you will see a lot less dead animals along the sides of the highways. Except PA, there is a higher road kill rate then what the hunters shoot.
Last week a lady was driving her SUV on the highway, dark night, she looks up all she sees is a huge, I mean HUGE animal in the road, it was turned around and going down the road heading towards the SUV. The rather large moose is going to battle with the car, head to head.
But in this case the moose went high as the front grill hit the front leg, then the moose traveled across the hood and took out the windshield. The Moose continued to travel into the interior of the SUV. Thank god there was no one in passenger seat, as the moose took up the passenger front and rear seats and some of the way back.
All the driver had was a cut on her finger fro flying glass.
Now how did I get to here.
My last point why I dislike mice, it is very hard to pick up there poo with a Walmart bag, and at least when a dog does his business, you can see it and usually pick it up the one bag, the one hand. From a mouse, they are small, hard and black and are all over the place, and they have no respect where they deposit them.
Sorry for the long post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
here is a link to my recent "mouse hunt"

http://workinrvers.blogspot.com/2010...-in-house.html
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote