Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
ANOTHER SLIDE OUT QUESTION

We just had the rig at the local shop for some warranty work. One of the problems was/is that the slides (all of them) creep out. This doesn't happen until at least 3-4 hours after they have been retracted. They will not creep when the rig is parked and sitting, but if you drive it around or go inside and push out on them, they will move out an inch or so.

Before I took the rig in for service, I made sure I had plenty of fluid (which I did) and performed the procedure that has been posted here and is in the Lippert manual for purging air from the system. I still had the problem. The dealer did the same and said the problem was fixed.

Well, you guessed it....it is not. I went out this morning and was able to push the slides out from the inside.

I have marked my hydraulic fluid reservoir with the level of the fluid when the slides are extended and retracted, and one of the things I noticed before I took the rig in for service, and informed the dealer of is, that after I retract the slides the level is always the same. But, after the rig has sat with the slides retracted for 3-4 hours, or overnight, the fluid level in the reservoir has risen by 1/4" - 1/2" which would indicate to me that the pump, manifold or something in the system is not holding pressure. Does this make sense???

This has been going on for a couple of months now and there is no visual indication of a fluid leak anywhere that I can see. I obviously will be taking the rig back to have this looked at again, but feel that I may need to point the tech in the right direction. Any inputs, as always, are appreciated.
Jack

Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This sounds like a bad pump or bad seals problem. Bleeding the system will fix it for a little while but if the pump is bad then the problem will start occurring again. If the seals were flaky, it would probably be more obvious. I hope your service center can debug the problem correctly. They should have the proper equipment to pressure test all components of the slide hydraulics and pump.

Try searching the MOC forums for "slide pump" or "creep" and you might find more ideas. Other members have reported this same type of problem and I recall there were some definite problems. Please let us know what you find and how it gets fixed. Good luck!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Jack we had the same problem with 1 slide at first it had a bypassing cylinder and that was fixed. After a week it started again and they replaced the pump assembly and no more troubles. There was a member on here that worked for Lippert and did some posting on this problem.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Thanks all. The member that worked for Lippert was Dale (MIMF) and hopefully he will be along soon to read about my problem. I think I will contact Lippert on Monday anyway to see what they have to say about it.
Jack
Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
To me it sounds like there is air in the system. Air could cause to oil level to rise in the tank. It is a little hard to explain but will try. In theory with 100% oil on both sides of the cylinder and say when you shut off the pump the system had 300# of pressure on the closing side. It would only take a few drops of oil leak by to drop this pressure to 0#. But with air in the system it could take a cup or more to drop this pressure to 0#,and raise the tank level.
But with all 3 slides moving I would also look at the relief setting on the system. With a combo of air and a bad setting you might be able to move the slides by hand. I would think the only thing all the slides have in common is the relief.
I am sure someone will come by with a few more things to look for as there is a lot of problem solving folks on this site.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I spoke with the good folks at Lippert today and they seem to agree the system is not holding pressure. When I take it back for service I will have them check cylinder pressure and the pump.
Jack
Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Did Lippert say anything about replacing the pump or talk to the repair mechanic. I had a proplem with my manafold and a slight leak, Lippert replaced the manafold, that was 5 years ago and it has been working just fine. I hope they end your problem soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
TT,
When I spoke with Lisa at Lippert, she didn't say anything about the manifold specifically, but I did mention to her that I thought it might be that or the pump and she didn't disagree. She also mentioned pressure checking the cylinders when I told her about the fluid bleeding back into the reservoir after the slides have been closed for a while. My money is on the pump or manifold. I think the main thing is to get the service center to do the pressure checks and then go from there. I just hope they are able to diagnose the problem and get it resolved quickly. The service center is waiting on a new remote receiver for the landing gear, slides, lights, awning, etc., to arrive and when it does, I will be taking the rig back to have that installed and this problem fixed.

On the bright side, they did install 2 new leaf springs (sent to me by Dexter) on the driver side of the rig which has taken care of my axle spacing problem and I have an appointment on Monday to have the wet-bolt kit installed. After that, I will be doing the 6 volt battery upgrade. The new battery box is scheduled to arrive today so I will have to start the mods on it for the vents.

Today, if the weather holds, I will be adjusting the brakes. Seems like I always have a project to do...oh well, it keeps me out of the bars
Jack
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
one thing i do is always close my valves. I close them when i'm done opening or closing the slide. No issues to date.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

one thing i do is always close my valves. I close them when i'm done opening or closing the slide. No issues to date.
Thanks swanny.....I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. If nothing else, maybe it will provide more information for troubleshooting the problem when I take it back in.
Jack
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Swanny has a good point there, I heard somthing like that a long time ago for storage and travel, it would sure let you know where to look if the fluid went up od down with all the valves closed.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Well this morning I ran the slides out and back in then closed the 4 valves for the slides. 4 Hours later I could not push the slides out and the fluid level in the reservoir was the same as when I first retracted them. Then I opened the valve for the dining room slide and checked the reservoir fluid level about an hour later and it had risen about 1/8 inch. I then opened all the valves, ran the slides out and back in and closed all the valves except for the entertainment slide. When I checked it 2 hours later the fluid level had again risen in the reservoir. Throughout the rest of the day I repeated this cycle for the other 2 slides and each time the fluid level in the reservoir rose. So it would seem to me that somewhere between the shut off valves and the pump the system is losing pressure.
Jack