Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Propane Tanks

Do the propane tanks switch over automatically when one is empty? Do we need to use the selector switch manually to switch from one tank to the other? Thanks for the help...Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Yes, it should automatically switch to the full tank and start drawing from it. In order to remove the empty tank for refilling, you will need to rotate the selector valve so that it points toward the full tank, close the valve on the top of the empty tank and then disconnect it. When you reinstall the filled tank, be sure to open the tank valve slowly.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Casa -
There is a selector switch on top by the regulator. Whichever tank that is pointing to is the tank that is used first. When that tank is empty, it will switch over to the other tank. However, it will not show the correct propane level until you flip the selector to the new tank. I have never done it, but you should be able to change out the empty tank as long as the switch points to the full tank. We do it the old fashioned way - one tank turned on and use from it, and then turn it off and refill. More than one cold night I've been seen running outside in the cold to turn the other tank on - but I always know I have another tank to use.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Your question was answered quite well above and I have nothing to add. Except to say, We keep both tanks open and during any cold spell I do check the tanks on an every other day basis. Of course we don't get that many cold spells wintering in Florida.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I do the same as Glenn. By checking at least every other day you won't run out!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
So what is this coldness so many of you talk about? I live in Southern California and I guess I can't relate. It gets so hot over here, we are constantly on fire. It's in the news all the time.

There are plenty of Northerners (New York, Massachusetts, Alaska, Canada, etc.) that tell me to go to hell. I just tell them, I already live there, why don't you come by and visit. AND THEY DO!

Okay, as for the automatic propane switch over, I have only run out at night ONCE. Since then I figured out the automatic gadget and check often via my inline propane gauges. Of course, make sure you have the autoswitchover regulator.

Happy gassing,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Check out the little booklet that came in the RV regarding the propane system, it has a good explanation.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks for all the replies!!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I thought this was interesting and useful:

Got a technical question about your RV? We have the expert and the answer
Bob Livingston
Good Sam Club Highways
March 2008
Propane-Tank Test
I have a 28-foot travel trailer, and one of the 30-pound propane containers won’t discharge gas when turned on. However, the other one does. I switched the containers to either side of the regulator, and the working one still works, while the other one won’t. I also took the failing container to a filling station, and it still would not work. The unit was purchased in 2003, so the containers are of the new style.

I’m at a loss. Because the good container worked on both sides of the regulator, it indicates that both pigtails and the regulator are good.
Rich Kuc, Wallingford, Pennsylvania

BOB: To determine Rich’s problem, we contacted him and asked that he follow a few test procedures at his RV while we were on the phone. The first thing we asked him to do was to describe the propane regulator, which was an auto-switchover model with the lever pointing to the left cylinder. The indicator was red. Then we had him open the left-cylinder service valve, which turned the red indicator to green. Then he opened the right-cylinder service valve while the other cylinder was still open. He then lit a stove burner to verify that he had gas (visual function test).

Here’s where the meat of the test starts. We had him close the left-cylinder valve, which simulates running out of gas in this cylinder. The indicator turned red. He then looked at the burner flame; it was still burning, which indicates that the regulator had switched to the right cylinder automatically. We then had Rich switch the lever to designate the right cylinder, which made the indicator go green. While these regulators are described as “automatic,” the owner still has to physically move the lever to the designated cylinder to make the indicator go green again. Once that indicator is green, it’s OK to remove the empty cylinder and have it refilled.

We then asked him to open the left-cylinder valve and close the right-cylinder valve, repeating the previous test, only switching cylinders. He experienced the same results and proper function.

After the tests, we had Rich open the stove burner while the cylinder valves were closed, bleeding off the propane and causing the indicator on the regulator to turn red. Rich carefully opened the service valve on the designated cylinder to slowly introduce enough gas to make the indicator go half green (you really have to be quick enough to do this). We wanted to show him that the red/green indicator is actually a pressure gauge and that it could also be used to perform a pressure-drop leak test—because there was enough pressure in the system to make the indicator show some green. As long as the system does not have a leak, it will continue to show green. If the red/green indicator does not drop to red after a few minutes, that indicates there is no substantial leak (theoretically nothing is absolutely leak free, and the standard for this test is a minimum of three minutes).

Then we asked Rich to open the stove burner for a few seconds to simulate a leak, and, sure enough, the indicator turned red.

These tests showed that gas did flow from each cylinder and the automatic-switchover regulator functioned as expected. The propane piping system also passed our leak test.

Many, if not most RVers don’t actually know how to use the automatic-switchover regulator to its maximum benefit. These regulators allow the owner to leak-test the system, provide continuous appliance service after the designated cylinder runs out of gas (as long as both cylinder valves are left open), and the system actually functions as a fuel-level gauge because it shows you when to refill the empty cylinder.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We do the same as Glenn except I have a remote indicator inside the rig that flashes a light when that red flag on the regulator goes up to show the "current" tank is empty. The indicator is made by Marshall, same people who made our regulator. I bought it from Campers Choice, online, but they are no longer in business. I think pplmotorhomes.com (I think that's the right url) has a link to where you can get one. Ours was around $35. I like not having to go out and check that regulator every few days. When the light flashes I go out and flip the regulator handle to the other tank, close the empty tank and take it out to get it refilled. No need to shut off the full tank. So long as the handle points to the full one it is ok to disconnect the empty one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote