Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
TV Up Grade

I decided to install a larger HD LCD TV in the living area. Originally our Mountaineer came with the Olieva 26" HD LCD TV. It was mounted on a swing arm. It was necessary to enlarge the opening for the 32" I was putting in. I had to cut off about 4" from the top. Doing this will enable me to set the TV in it's place for travel.

I also installed the electric fireplace last winter & made up all the trim around it.

For the 26" Olieva, I installed that in the bedroom. Made up some brackets for the back & had to cut about 1" off the top. I then re centered the door to fit opening.

It took me about 4 hours to do this........What a difference in viewing......well worth the up grade.

Oh yes, the 32" in living area has a built in DVD player. I can use that for a backup when the factory one decides to quit...like all of them!

Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Lambchop,

Nice looking install on all! That sort of thing would take me 4 days and it would still look like a 5 year old did it! Always something to do on the rigs.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Very nice upgrades. You will get a lot of enjoyment (and heat) from the fireplace.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
Lambchop,
I am in the process of trying to replace both tvs. I think our unit was hit by lightning (took out converter, both tube type tvs & Apollo). Upgrades look really nice. I hope mine turn out looking this good with the flat screens.
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I have been contemplating the same thing. Glad to see it works. Nice job!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We upgraded to the LCD's in 2005 when we had the Cambridge we removed the tube type that came with the 5er. And each 5er we have owned we remove the tube type. Then we went to HDTV's when they came out. The ultimate is LCD's with HDTV, our (SOB) came with Samsungs HDTV. However their only the 780p's but the 1080p's became available in May 08. We will upgrade to the 1080p in the near future. There is a big difference. Great install by the way, I also made the brackets for our cambridge, and didn't have to cut anything. The system we have now is the push button and it pop's up, so unless we decide to cut we will have to stay with the 32" which is fine for the location, a 40" would be to big. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Lambchop,

Very nice job, I'm jealous and wish I had your carpentry skills.

What do you do with the extra space behind the TV in the living room?

Does the TV push back into the cabinet while traveling?

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Lambchop,

Very nice job, I'm jealous and wish I had your carpentry skills.

What do you do with the extra space behind the TV in the living room?

Does the TV push back into the cabinet while traveling?

It didn't take much in carpentry skills, just take your time. It was a matter of removing the upper section of the cabinet & cutting it on a good table saw.
There isn't much room behind the TV. My entertainment center is butted up against the side bathroom. Probably only 12" deep. The TV is on a swing arm which came with the trailer & the TV is pushed back for travel. I use the original strap to secure it for travel.

Roy
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
Michael McCabe

M.O.C. #8941
Hey Folks, I've been thinking of upgrading the living area TV in our 2005/3400RL. Looks like a 32" LCD would be a good choice. I'd like to use a swing out mount on the forward wall of the slideout, so we could secure it there during transit. However, I'm concerned about the need to bolster the slideout wall. What's the configuration of that wall? Are there any studs or substantial framing in that wall to ensure a secure mount. Has anybody tackled this job before? Thanx, Mike McCabe, USAF Ret.
Michael McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Mike,

The swing arm was in there from Montana. It is supported by an interior wall. I presume it was reinforced from the factory. Do NOT use an outside wall! It is not strong enough to support the weight.
I don't know how strong that slide wall is.

Roy
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #11
Michael McCabe

M.O.C. #8941
Thanx Roy, I've been noodling on this upgrade since last posting and believe I'll be able to reinforce the slide-out wall to the point it will support the LCD. Its weight is only 24lbs. When we travel I'll support/cushion the stowed set to prevent vertical movement.
Michael McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I upgraded to a 32" LCD in my 06 3400rl. I used some scrape 2x4s to build a frame on the inside of the front wall of the entertainment center and then 2 2x4s across the center. I built it outside the cabinet, inserted it inside and screwed it to the cabinet. Used a swing out arm from Walmart.
There is open space above and below the 2x4s and when traveling I use the black straps from the rockers and dinette to secure the tv. Never used them on the chairs and table anyway. Just tighten it up and stuff a couple of scrap pieces of foam between the tv and the cabinet and it is safe and secure. Now we can pull out and swivel the tv when at the table. Keeps me from having to talk to my wife at dinner.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote