Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Adding Solar Panel(s)

Has anyone added Solar Panel(s) for battery charging or everyday electrical use? If yes, where did you mount the panel(s), how was the cable ran, done just for battery charging or in lieu of a gas generator? Was the outcome as you expected?
Trying to weigh the benefits.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks

corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, we had four 125 watt solar panels installed on the roof. The cable was run down along side the refrigerator vent. We had a Prosine 2.0 inverter with a HPV-22 controller installed. The controller provides control of the current coming from the solar panels to the inverter battery charging circuits. We disconnected the OEM converter. In the five years of using the solar system, we've only had to use a generator a few times when the sky was overcast for an extended period of time. The outcome was better than we expected.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
Installed 2 110 watt pannels 30 amp charge controller and 2500 watt inverter and 12 volt deep cycle batteries . My pannels had aluninum frames - bought the mountung brackets seperately . Went up om the roof amd carefully tapped arround with hammer and fastened the brackets where the heavy roof supports are (rafter )-- at home depot they have anchors about the size of a bumblebee and shaped like one also made from metal not plastic or rubber and they really hold used rubber roof sealer on everything even when screwing in the anchors , under the brackets and over the brackets -- put on what u need then double it -- when you notice a roof leak it is too late the damage is already done ( recently caught myself doing 95 mph -- believe me the anchors will hold )comon wiring is to run down fridge vent - it works very well.
chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I believe it was last year that Trailer Life showed how to install a small panel for around $100 and even gave where to get all the items, this was to charge the battery

bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We also installed 4 solar panels, plus a 2000 watt Magnum Inverter, and Solar Boster Controller, along with six 6 volt batteries wired for 12 volt. The panels were mounted on the roof, like Orv's. When installed you need to use rubber roof goop to seal all holes created by mounting screws. The wiring all goes to a collector box on the roof. Then two wires are routed down the rear vent pipe. On my 3075RL Monty these wires come out of the pipe in the basement, which are then routed through the front wall into the battery compartment. This set up will run everything in the rig, except the Air Conditioner, with an average day's use of less that 30% of capacity, and full recovery of the useage over the day if average sun is available. I think it is very balanced. If necessary I carry an EU2000 Honda generator which is adequate to recharge at my usage level. If you want to only limit the system to battery charging you could consider just going with a small generator like the EU 1000 or 2000 Good Luck. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
SabraLee

M.O.C. #8482
Has anyone here installed their own system? I'm wondering in particular about inverter to AC circuit box connections.

Also, does anyone tilt their array, or do you just leave it flat all the time?

Thanks,

Dave and Sabra Horn
`06 336RLT
Full Timers
SabraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SabraLee

Has anyone here installed their own system? I'm wondering in particular about inverter to AC circuit box connections.

Also, does anyone tilt their array, or do you just leave it flat all the time?

Thanks,

Dave and Sabra Horn
`06 336RLT
Full Timers
We didn't install our own system. The experts in the business did it for us. And, we do not tilt our panels. We get over 20 amps charge from the panels on good sunny days.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120

corncob,

We just recently added two more panels, we now have 6 and on a good day can pull 30 amps without tilting the panels. We also carry a Honda 2000i for those cloudy days, or days that we over use the 6-6 volt battery bank.

In the last year, we have used less than 6 gallons of gasoline for the generator.

We try to use our solar panel/system as often as possible as our sole source of electricity.

If you are looking for helpful information about solar/installation, check out this site. amsolar.com

We have recommended several people to them, they have all been very pleased with the quality of work, and the expertise extended by this company. This site is also a great reference; their education page is a great spot to help figure out what you need for your particular RVing lifestyle. They sell everything you need.

Like Orv, after watching the install on our rig, there is no way that I would attempt to wire the system; I just left it to the professionals. If something doesn't work the way it is expected, a call to the installer will usually answer/fix my problem.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Many thanks to all for the replies with very helpful data.
Regards and Happy Holidays
Old 12-22-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
Updated my system 2 110 pannels are not enough . I now have 2- 110 pannels and 2-130 amp pannels . I found out that 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries work better than than 1 of the heavest group 27 batteries I could buy . I now have a total of 480 watts of solar pannels and 4 - 6 volt golf cart batteries plus the 3 12 volts i purchased 6 months ago . I was boondocking in the CA desert with about 200 other people that stay there for the entire winter without hookups and checked out their systems , they all had propane heaters with the low oxygen shut offs to heat their coaches they are 99 percent efficent and dont use any electricity . It was amazing they dident run their generators at all , and they got annoyed if someone did .
Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Corncob,
I just finished installing two panels on the 3295 mounting the panels just to the rear of the bathroom vent. I fabricated brackets that allow them to tilt from either end depending on the sun direction and ran the wiring through the vent and into the attic above the power panel. Since the 12volt DC bus and ground is located there, I mounted the Trace C-40 controller in the closet and connected it to the 12 volt bus. This made the total wiring run less than 10 feet in length. I'm using it to keep the 4 AGM batteries charged which run the 2K inverter. I'll probably add more panels later, but so far it keeps me from having to run the generator every day when dry camping. The Honda 3000i will charge the batteries in about 3 hours though the 40A Truecharger if I run it every three or four days. We use a lot of AC power at night so the solar panels really help out. The install was pretty easy using rubber expansion nuts to fasten the brackets to the roof.
Good luck with your installation.

Phil
tehachapatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Phil,
Could you be more specific on the rubber expansion nuts you used? Factory name, size, and where you got them? Also, what wattage panels did you install? What gauge wire did you run from the panels to the bus? I am trying to determine the correct way to attach panels. I think there is aluminum frame covered by plywood with rubber roof on the plywood. Is the idea to use expanding device behind the plywood and avoid attaching to the aluminum framework?
Thanks, John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Phil,

Any chance of getting some photos of your install and a list of materials? When you have a moment.

Regards and many thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Corncob,
I'll try to get some pictures if the weather cooperates this week. I used Marine grade 10 AWG wiring similar to romex, but it's a two conductor, fine stranded wire which is very flexible and lays flat on the roof. Secured it to the roof with a dab of Dicor sealant. I use a Trace C-40 controller and two 80 watt panels currently which will give me pleanty of room for growth. Planning on adding two more panels this summer. The rubber expansion nuts, also called "well nuts" can be found at most hardware stores. I used the 1/4"x1" size, here's a link to a source. http://northlandfasteners.biz/Store/...p?cPath=173_45
I used two per bracket where others use 1/8" size bolts I wanted a little more holding power. The roofing is about 3/8" ply under the rubber material. I didn't find anything else there. The well nuts will expand behind the plywood and also seal the hole. The 1/4" nuts require a 1/2" hole, I used a hole saw, but a sharp drill bit would work also. There are two types of well nuts, you want the one that has a thin head vice the thicker one. It will flatten out easily between the brackets and the roof. I used Dicor sealant around the hole and between the bracket and roof then sealed around the outline of the bracket and also the bolt head. There are steel trusses every 24" or so that are good to use in placing the panels. I kept mine about 12" in from the side to keep my cover from rubbing on the corners. If you make your panels fixed, brackets are easy and you can buy the "Z" brackets from several suppliers. I wanted to be able to tilt mine in either fore or aft direction so I fabricated mine. I would recommend installing a disconnect switch and fuse between the controller and battery for safety. I also have a disconnect between the panels and the controller to make it easier to install the panels.
This is easier than it sounds, making the first hole in the roof was the hardest part. LOL Good luck, hope this helps.
tehachapatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Phil,
Thank you for your excellent description. I haven’t seen much on moveable solar panels and look forward to your pictures.
I am interested to know how well 160 watts serves you. Please keep us posted..
Thanks for sharing your work with the group.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
[quote]Originally posted by WorkerB

Phil,
Thank you for your excellent description. I haven’t seen much on moveable solar panels and look forward to your pictures.
I am interested to know how well 160 watts serves you. Please keep us posted..
Thanks for sharing your work with the group.
John

Run the pannels down one side of the unit only -- if you install them next to one another across the roof - they will shade one another when tilted and the AC will shade the the pannels when the sun is low on the horizon -- park the coach on an east west direction and tilt the pannels tward the south for the most solar energy
Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Twotogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8339
We bought two panels last year but didn't install them on the rig.

We full time in a 3500RL but we also have an old 26ft Komfort that we use for mountain excursions and fishing trips in the back country up in Oregon.

I assemble a portable stand using metal angle iron from home depot with holes in it that I can fasten together with bolts and wing nuts in about ten minutes. That way I can use the same panels when we boon dock with our big rig in Arizona or with our little rig in the wilds of Oregon. You need to be careful that rocks and things don't fly up and hit your panels but it works for us. We carry the panels in their boxes behind the couch when transporting them in the big rig and strapped on the folded down couch when using the little one. The stand comes apart and rides in the bed of the truck when not in use. I'd like more panels for the big rig and will probably add them sometime but we're ok with two for now. We almost never need the generator anymore but there are still times it must be used. We also replaced the two regular deep cycle batteries with four golf cart batteries. If I add panels I'll need more of these batteries too.
Twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Very nice job! Many thanks again to you and all.

Regards