Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Great job you two!!!! What I love about my tubs in the basement is that I can mix and match per the season. I can transfer things to one tub during the summer months that I use often and then change it out during the winter. Citranella candles and Off/Deet are in the summer tub. Duraflame starters and hand warmers are in the winter stuff. We don't full time, so not all of our stuff is packed. But staying in the Monty long time most of our stuff stays there. We are home for the Christmas holiday, I am running out to the Montana and robbing it, my frig and pantry. Need to get rid of summer clothes that we were wearing in July and put winter clothes in.

So glad you guys are getting settled into your new home. Thanks for your pictures.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, Colleen. As full-timers, all of our stuffs are with us all of the time which necessitates some innovative solutions. We are in cold, then warm, then hot, then cold...Well, you get the picture. Those space bags really help!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Michael,

The best part about RVing is that if you don't like the park or the temperatures you can hook up and go. It is nice to know where things are, and the more that we stay in the RV, the more I think about what we need to toss or put at the stick house. I am finding that more should be less, as that means I have more in my bank account since I didn't spend money towing stuff around. We have been in the Montana for since mid May. I could really do without all of the stick house stuff, but it was nice to come home to our house for Christmas. Not ready to give it all up, but if we had to our Montana could become our stick house on wheels.

Live your dream and enjoy. Time slides through the hour glass so quickly. Memories made on the road are priceless.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #24
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Nice work you two! This thread and a couple of others that have been posted this past year will come in handy when we finally "bite the bullet" and install "permanent" storage solutions (e.g., hooks, shelving, etc.). I wanted to live with Bella through a couple of trips and over a number of weekends at the parking site before starting the final organization layout plan. (Also, knew we would be doing some additional purchases of "stuff" that would likely need some custom storage solutions.)

Tomorrow we'll be going to the "toy store" (Harbor Freight) where we'll likely start purchasing some of those organizational things. After that Lowe's and Home Depot will be on the "need to visit" list!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Colleen,

Quote:
quote:Live your dream and enjoy. Time slides through the hour glass so quickly. Memories made on the road are priceless.
Very well said...

Robin,

You are approaching the storage thing in the right way, by living in your rig for a while. Too often, I'll think something is just right and then after thinking about it for a while, find that it isn't.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael and Colleen,

Carrying only what makes you comfortable and what you really need is a fulltimer's challenge. Pick your luxury items! Evaluate the need vs. the want vs. the luxury vs. efficiency vs. sq. footage needed to store, and lately, vs. the cost.

We are constantly looking for space-saving techniques and more efficient ways of comfortably living in 400 sp ft!

Michael, thank you for reminding us that it was time to re-evaluate the way we use our STUFF!

We just made a trip to the The Container Store, WOW, there were so many ideas for the RV that it was overwhelming. I was able to take my measurements and make some significant modifications to free up some floor space with some just the right size plastic boxes. They have so many different types of organizing techniques that can work for an RV, I highly recommend anyone to take a look at this store.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great ideas guys! Just curious if you gave any thought to the sliding tray and if so why you ruled it out? I think it would take too much room, but I might have thought differently with the taller basement.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

I think the sliding trays are just too big and they limit flexibility. I'm sure others will disagree. Our 2980RL basement is smaller than other models so every inch counts.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #29
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I considered the sliding tray, and may in the future to help my back. But, I still wanted things up off the floor, like our chairs, so that I could get to them easily.

Also, I am worried that the top of the black and gray tanks may be at the underside of the plywood floor, limiting the size of screws that can be used to secure the tray - especially with weight cantelevered when the slide is extended.

Oh, look - I'm at 999 posts!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
ah-ha, yep you are, here might be 1000!

I agree with you on the screws - that was the main reason I never put one in. With your tall basement, I was almost thinking trays low and your other baskets as an upper tier level.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Michael! Just exactly what I needed-- more ideas for the Monte! IF I could do it right now, I would-- but with temps in the 20-30's it's a little hard to work on it! Sure glad I saw your ideas tho-- it give me ideas on how to work on our basement!
Robbie since you own the same rig we do how about some pictures of what you did to maximize your basement and give me MORE ideas!
Sailer sent me his basement remodel and I'm going to use some of his ideas also!
Now, just to get the time warm air to get it started and done!
Thanks guys for the ideas!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I did not get the sliding tray because I, too, believed it wasted too much room. I now think I was wrong about that. So now I'm using a long piece of plywood with multiple chair/furniture glides on the bottom. That works ok but I'd sure like to have that tray.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote