Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
blinking AC lights

Got a problem that has just started, All AC lights blink, but no 12 volt lights are blinking. I remember some time ago someone was talking about a loose ground or connection in the electrical panel. I check the box outside and every think seems ok there, no overheated electrical cord nor where it plugs in . any suggestions? thanks
Tom

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Tom. any of your neighbors having the same problem? If so, its probably the campground. If not, you will probably need a volt meter to start tracking the problem. If you don't have a volt meter, you might start turning off fuses one at a time and see if any one fuse (circuit) is causing the problem.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If it's not the CG, you might try looking in 3 places:

1) Behind the electrical panel, you should see the common Neutral. With power OFF and DISCONNECTED from CG, tighten each terminal strip screw holding both hots, neutral and ground;

2) Again, with the power cord disconnected from 5er (if #1 didn't fix the problem), remove the outside receptacle from the rear cap and again, tighten all connections;

3) Finally, check the connector on your power cord by unscrewing the end and tightening all connections.

Hope this helps!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
thanks guys, it seems to blink for a few minutes then it stops, but starts up again in a few minutes. Will check all that you suggested. Thanks a bunch.
Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
update as of this am....
checked panel inside of monty everything good and tight.,checked power cord, So I reported to campground this am, no blinking lights this morning, I had them all turned on, and the lights started blinking last night around 9:00pm. campground is totally full, "BUT I had checked my neighbors and theirs wasnt blinking, which makes me think its in the campground hookup, and when theirs a heavy load it affects mine. I have been here at this sight for 2 weeks with no problems, but the campground wasnt totally full until yesterday.
Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Do you have a voltage meter plugged into one of your outlets so you can see when you are getting low voltage? This would help you to determine if you are receiving the correct voltage, and show when it starts to drop off. Do you have a surge protector plugged into your system? That would help protect your electrical appliances, because with the park full they are more than likly having heavy demand during the afternoon hours.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we picked up our rig last Oct I immediately pulled the breaker panel cover as I had read in the forum that some of the rigs go out with lose connections on the breakers. I found that all but two were lose to some extent, I got at least a quarter or half turn on them. All tight now and no more problems... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Ok, campground service man found the problem, the hot side in their box was bad in the plug. it was just barely a little wire left, and with late evening power I was only getting very little. Now its fixed. All my connections were tight as they should be in the panel box. thanks everyone for your quick replies and your help.
Tom