Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Itakethe5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #5801
Aluminum Wheels with hair line cracks

I have two rims with cracks in them from a short trip this weekend. These rims were in the same position left front axle and running the same tire on both rims. When I change the flat(brand new tire) the first time I was setting in the campground parked and didn't find anything in the tire, when I went to put air in I found a small crack in the rim close to the value stem. Sense I would not have a spare traveling home I changed out this new tire with the spare tire because of it beinging new. Well I get home Monday from work and guest what a flat same tire. So I take it off and pump it up and get some soapy water and check it and find this rim also has a hair line crack in it. Whats up with that? Now I start checking the tire and find out it is a Telluride A/T made in China and is one on the recall list. Could the tire be causing the rims to crack or is there something going on with left front hub causing it? I checked the wheel bearings and all and coul no't find anything wrong that I could tell. tire dealer is going to swap out with a made in USA brand tire today.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
If you have OME rims others with Montana's have also found cracks! Sorry to hear of your troubles with such a good looking trailer.

I jave Outlaw rims on my trailer and have had good luck, knock on wood!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The Big Skys from 2003 or so have had this problem. It's been pretty common.

Welcome to the forum. I love your username!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote