Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
mylimo

M.O.C. #7310
Adjusting Couch Slide

Have a 2006 Montana 3500RL,the problem with the couch slide is that it drags pretty hard on the carpet going in or out.The carpet has a wear mark.Anyone know how to adjust the slide to take the pressure of the carpet as the slide goes in and out. Thanks

mylimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
About all slides will wear the carpet a little after time, but if it is really digging in, put your slide out about 1/3 of the way. Underneath where the 2 arms connect to the slideout, there are 2 bolts on each arm that allow for up and down adjustment ... loosen these a little. There is a pusher bolt directly below both arms ... loosen the lock nut and back it off maybe 1/2 turn. The slide should drop down with it, if not wiggle the slideout a little till it does. Tighten all bolts back up. Don't make adjustments in big moves as over adjusting will compromise the weather seal ... a little adjustment makes a big difference. MIMF2 may be along to amend my solution ... he's "da man".
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
So the "pusher bolt" is on the outside edge so that "backing off this bolt will allow the inboard edge of the slide to rise?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Loosening the 4 slide arm bolts and backing off the pusher bolt will lower the outside and in turn raise the inside of the slideout. I want to stress, a little goes a long way. You may want to count the flats on the pusher bolt as you adjust just in case you make it worse, you can return it to where you started.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
mylimo

M.O.C. #7310
Thank you I will give it a try.
mylimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
dieselguy, you 'da man!!

Vanman, the "pusher bolts" that are mentioned are those two bolts, one at the end of each arm just behind the skirting that points straight down to the ground. Loosen the two carriage bolts on each adjustment plate. Then loosen the jamn nut for each vertical adjustment bolt and rotate it counter-clockwise, which will allow the outside end of the room to come down. As goofy as it sounds, that will allow the inside edge of the slide room floor to raise. Thus increasing the clearence betweenthe bottom of the slide room floor and the carpet on the main floor. Adjusting those two bolts about 1/2" is probably all your going to need to go.

Make absolutely sure that before you operate the room, everything is tightened back up.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks - no telling when (if ever) it'll quit raining here !!! We had a really bad drought the last 2 years so I guess it's catchup time. Some places have been getting 12 to 19 inches at a time and everything's already saturated.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Have you checked with your dealer on getting the slide adjusted, Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I'm a DIY kind of guy whenever possible. If I'm not comfortable doing something, then I'll engage an expert.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Adjusting the slide is really not hard. I was scared to death of trying it until MIMF showed me how. Our rig came with a manual that has info on adjustments in it, too. Anyhow, Dale (MIMF) said start the adjustment with the slide extended about 1/3. Then, when you turn the adjustments, if the slide doesn't move (sometimes it won't) then you just stand up and rock the heck out of the slide until it does move to the new position. It rocks the entire rig and is scary but it works.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote