Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
Wiring help

I have a 2006 3500, but the area I need help is the bedroom closet which is the same on all units. I want to run a #10 12V wire from the battery compartment to the closet to install an inverter. This is to be used for my CPAP machine when we dry camp. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to run the wire?? I could get it as far as the pin box but I don't see how to get to the closet from there.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
I use a machine too, I put the inverter in the battery area. Hooked up a remote switch on it and ran the wires up under the bed. Put the switch and plug in the right side of the bed rail,. works great.
leave wire under bed for the slide.
Robb
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
dhalley

M.O.C. #4370
I have a cpap also and I would caution you on installing the inverter in the closet. It generates heat and may be a fire hazard. you are better off installing it in the battery comaprtment and the running 120 volt wire to an outlet near the bed with a remote switch like robb did that is by far the safest way I can think of. Good luck

David
dhalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have a CPAP machine and I got a 12VDC adapter for it. The cord is long enough to reach the TV cable connector / 12VDC cigarette adapter in the closet. I think it cost around $60. Cheaper than an inverter, but I understand that you could use it for things other than CPAP.

Good luck.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have a CPAP and I tried a 400 watt inverter pluged into the tv 12 volt plug in it wouldn't run the machine. I had a machine that would run on 12v or 120v but when I got the new CPAP that opition was not available. Once we get our Monty I will wire in a inverter into the battery compartment and run a lead to the side of the bed.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure whether your 3500 is the same up front as our 3400. I ran a wire from the bedroom down along the drain pipe under the shower and followed the drain pipe into the basement. From there I ran the wire along the drain pipe, forward, to where there is a wire loom going into the propane locker. I put the wire in that wire loom with the other wires. I think that loom may go into the front locker, too. Mine was for a remote propane out indicator.

If the loom doesn't go into the front locker, I would think you could drill a small hole into the sheet metal wall common to the propane locker and the front locker. Or you could run it down through the opening in the propane locker floor and up an opening in the front locker floor. You'd need to grommet those holes to avoid rubbing.

Or maybe you could drill through the front wall in the basement storage area into the front locker. Again, grommet. That's just a thought. I haven't looked to see if this is feasible.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think the inverter needs to be near the battery and then run the A/C line to the closet, rather than to run a long line from the battery to the inverter in a closet.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
The wife and I both have a CPAP and this is one reason why we do not dry camp anymore. Gotta' have that electricity. Let me know if you get it work.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
My cpap is like Don's, it can be operated off 12 VDC so do not need a converter to use it. You could run a wire either from the 12 Volt connection in the closet or run a new one from the battery compartment and add a in-line fuse.

Let us know what you finally decide.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote