Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Losing some power

We have been having trouble our CG electricity. Intermittent power loss. Flickering lights, then total outage. No surges - Volt meter stays consistent at 121v. CG mgr has been trying to track the problem down. Only those on our street seem to be affected.

We and the neighbors have been switching between 50 and 30 amp plugs to get rid of the problem. We have been doing great for the past 5 days on 50 amp.

Heavy rain two days ago. Came home to find the ground fault tripped above our kitchen counter (3400). The Kill-A-Watt voltmeter is plugged into this. I believe this was caused by our outside Christmas lights where a plug was not fully plugged in with the metal prongs exposed to the rain. These were also out. I plugged the light plug in tightly and reset the GFI - everything came back on, no further problems.

Tonight, flickering lights started again - then went out completely. Only some 110v: main A/C, microwave, vanity outlet, dresser 110v lamp, and outlet between dressers. Nothing else: TV, fireplace, fridge, ceiling fan, 110v lights above kitchen table, all LR/kitchen outlets OK.

The affected 110v appliances went out again for about 10 min, then back on again. Flickered, then out, then back on in about 30 sec. So far still on after about 30 mins, but...

All breakers/fuses fine. 50 amp service tightly plugged in. All GFI OK - none were tripped. Never had this problem before tonight. Don't know if it's possible that one leg of our 50 amp service is acting up (external problem), or if I may have a loose wire somewhere...

Any advice???

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Sounds to like they have a lose connection at the main feed of the camp ground to the section you are in if the others in your area or having same symtoms.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I agree with Darrell
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have just had the trouble again. Also affects the BR TV (outlet), in addition to the affected arteas mentioned earlier. Strange... TV outlet power is out, but the antenna booster right next to it still has power. Also about 30 min before this last round of flickering/outage, my converter breaker blew - no idea if there is any connection to the flickering.

I just switched over to the 30 amp plug. We'll see how that goes...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It definitely sounds like you are losing 1 leg of your 50 amp CG feed. When you connect your 30 amp adapter, you are essentially taking 1 leg of 50 amp CG power and splitting it to your 2 legs in the 3400.

The same thing happened to us in a CG in Oregon. The park's distribution panel was bad and kept tripping 1 leg of 50 amps.

If it were me, so that you don't fry anything in your rig, I would use that generator of yours until the park rectifies (no pun intended) the power problem. Gasoline is a lot cheaper than frying wires.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Michael. I already resorted to the Kipor 3000 a week ago when the problem first occurred. I am not having any loss of power on 30 amp so far. There are no surges associated with these losses. I have been watching my voltage during these incidents. It's simply like someone jiggling the power cord, then pulling it and then plugging it it back in.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Whats going on, you and Rich get the electricity Gods mad at you both at the same time?
If it works OK with the 30 Amp service, and if you are still using the same power cord with a 30 amp adapter, the problem must be with the Park. Keep us posted.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
You said you had lot of rain. Could be moisture gotten into either the campground side of the main distribution panel or on your pedestal. Moisture will make electricity do funny things as well. But in saying that if your neighbors are having the same issues then it's on CG side, if not then try your pedestal connections. Either loose connection as noted before or moisture problem.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Regarding the antenna booster light is driven by DC voltage so that is why its Ok when TV 110v is off. As suggested by others it sounds like one leg of 240v from CG is loose and getting hit by moisture. This could be at your site post or at a distribution panel for your section. I would try to go outside and listen for arcing when the lights flicker...there is going to be a point where this will just start tripping a breaker as the carbon builds up. Do not open any CG panels...if you locate it...notify CG personnel and let them get an electrician to fix it. Let us know if you find the source..
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think bad connections, poor quality electrical outlets, switches, and connection devices are the bulk of electrical failures. (along with poor wiring practices.)
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave your biggest lose could be the refrigerate with the surges. You may want to switch over to gas to protect the refrig. I have low voltage this summer and lost my refrig. Also it is best as Ozz stated in Rich's topic to go over all electrical connections. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So far so good. Although I thought I saw a slight flicker a few minutes ago. I real conscious of these right now. Nothing since though...

I also just remembered a post going on right now aboout pulling the socket off of the 50 amp cord and checking the connections. I was going to do that, then procrastinated. Back to the top of the list... Also could be an explanation for why my converter has popped the breaker 3 times in the last month.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, my sugestion would to be to wait till its raining again and send Cheryl out to feel around for any loose connections or put her ear on the panel and listen for arcing. Oh yeh, Merry Christmas! (by thw way, for you other people out there, I'm only kidding, I love Cheryl, just ask her!)
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis, good advice. Last time that's what I did. Shut off the elect on the water heater, switched both the WH and the fridge to gas. Wasn't sure on the WH, but I don't think I want to buy the electronics for that either.

Also, on Rich's electric... At least I still have a fully functional Apollo oven... Maybe the June 2006 mfr date has something to do with it. I know earlier models were bad, bad, bad... This is our second one, and it has performed flawlessly. First one was a Feb 2006 mfr date. Don't mean to get a discussion started though on that subject here. I'll save it for the other thread going. Just FYI.

I'll let you know about the plug...
Old 12-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Dave, my sugestion would to be to wait till its raining again and send Cheryl out to feel around for any loose connections or put her ear on the panel and listen for arcing. Oh yeh, Merry Christmas! (by thw way, for you other people out there, I'm only kidding, I love Cheryl, just ask her!)
Cheryl said, "May Rudolph poop in your stocking." Not my words, you understand...

She knows you love her. Merry Christmas to you and Patti, too!