Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
Break in Frame

While unpacking the Monty after returning from a trip, we noticed that the closet wall on the curb side of the camper was bulging into the closet. Upon further inspection, we found that the floor of the front closet was pushed upward. After talking with our dealer, and looking for cracks in the frame, (we didn't see any) we pulled the camper about 60 miles to the dealership. In that distance, the frame had pushed up enough that the sliding closet doors wouldn't close all the way.

The dealer said that they had not seen any problem of this sort until that day when ours and one other 5th wheel was brought in with the same trouble.

Keystone authorized the repairs which were needed on both sides of the frame. This amounted to taking the front cap off, peeling back the fiberglass on the underside of the overhang and welding steel renforcement to the frame.

We were very satisfied with Ketelsen's RV dealership in Cedar Rapids, IA. and the frame shop that did the work.

We have been told that Keystone has in the past, paid for part of the cost of an air ride hitch, which we believe would help prevent this problem from recurring. But when we talked with their representative, he said they absolutely would not nor have they ever compensated anyone for the cost of an air ride.

Has anyone had Keystone pay for a portion of an air ride hitch?

Jim and Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Jim,
Keystone has never, to my knowledge, ever paid for an air ride hitch. I can't believe someone told you that. The hitch does not fall under their customer repairs. By the way, I just had work done at Ketelsen's. They replaced my hydraulic pump at no cost to me. I have an extended warranty with $50 deductible. They didn't charge me the deductible. Great people.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go with Orv on this one. Someone is giving you some very incorrect info about Keystone and air rid hitches.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just had our frame repaired in Goshen at the factory. It was reinforced with wood and welds were repaired. Cost to us....nada. Great service and great guys to work with....Darryl and George. We were in the area and had gotten an appt. to let them look at a possible frame problem. They wouldn't let us leave until we were fixed up. We even got free overnight parking at the factory where they have four sites ready for people with appts. Great experience.

I've never heard of Keystone offering to help with an Air Ride hitch. They don't even use that product.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ditto on NO AIR HITCHES/ PINS from Keystone, sorry if you want one, you are gonna have to pay. They have and continue to do frame repairs tho, and we are all very thankful for that.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote