Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Satellite dish, rooftop

Hi,
I'm just full of questions!
I have a 'Stationary domed satellite antenna' new in the box the cats are sitting on.
Has anyone installed one of these critters?, (The satellite, not the cats) if so, where did you put it and how did the hook up go?
I will have a Tivo on my Direct TV with the Two cables coming from it.
Do you connect in the bedroom area, or up in the entertainment area?
I won't be getting to that project for awhile, but need to start gathering information.
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I wasn't that brave and had CW install mine. This is what they did on our 3475 Montana. The dish was installed directly above the steps on the roof. Two wires were then layed accross the top of the roof and entered at the front cap. The electrical switches are in our front closet. it consists of the main power switch and the antenna reset switch. The remaining wires were directed down thru the ref vent in the kitchen area. All of the wires were secured using the special cap sealer for rubber roofs. The cable wires were laid across the top of the kitchen cabinets to the intertainment slide. A jack was installed in the cabinet and the slide so the cable could be removed when the slide comes in. Our reciever sits atop our vcr player, sony surrround sound DVD, and then into the TV.
Hope this helps you. It has been on there since Dec 2004 and has never given me any problems.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks!
I'll ponder their routing, may be the way I'll do it. Sometimes it's quicker and easier to do it one way, but better another way. This is a project I will tackle in a month or so, but wanted to get a file started on it.
Is yours a dual cable set up from the sat. dish? When you said the wires were secured with the rubber roof sealer, did they cover the wires with a continuous bead, or some here and there?
Thanks a bunch!
Ozz
Old 07-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz
They dabt it every six inches or so. Not a straight stream. I have used this stuff before on an other trailer. Its great for rubber roofs and sealing seams after installing vents, etc. When they opened the front cap to run the wires thru, they resealed it with this stuff. I don't have a tvo and my direct tv only has one cable which I ran to the front TV.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ken,
Thanks, I see your dome in your picture.
Ozz