Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Microwave run 2 seconds then shuts-down

We are having a problem with the microwave.
Went to do pop-corn tonight and the unit ran 2 seconds and shut off, no matter if you push popcorn or put in 2:30
Did anyone else have a problem with it.
I did a search but found no info
Thanks

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Pat: We had to have our micro replaced since we got back from NH. They are warranted for 3 yrs. Get in touch with your dealer. Maybe the popcorn is some that Lois got in Quebec. It could be defective too.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

We are having a problem with the microwave.
Went to do pop-corn tonight and the unit ran 2 seconds and shut off, no matter if you push popcorn or put in 2:30
Did anyone else have a problem with it.
I did a search but found no info
Thanks
This is more than likely the result of low amperage. Microwaves surge when started and if they don't get what they need they shutdown.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I called the other day for the handle part...I was told that there was only a one year warranty on the microwave..we have the apollo. They are sending the part free b/c it seems everyone is having this problem..so instead of recalling they are waiting for people to call.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
only time I had a problem like this is when too many things running in the coach for the small amp hook up just a thought where you in a old park or useing a gen with alot going on inside?
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Potvin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2193
Send a message via MSN to Potvin
Bill & Ann

Stewart forgot to tell Swede that when he puts it in the microwave that only the english kernels will pop because the french kernels are not bilingual.

Swede must of forgotten to tell the french kernels what to do.I don't know if it is a Swedish problem or a French problem???????????
May be both.

Pat and I have a problem.
Potvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Good one Lois. As you know, I am bilingual.....Eh...HUH.

By the way Pat. Our micro is a Dometic and it does has a 3 yr. warranty. If it isn't your amperage give them an email. They will refer you to a dealer for replacement.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The only time mine shut down was on a low amp situation I was running off my generator and had other things on at the same time.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I heard about this problem with the old forest river camper we had. There is a thermal overload device located inside the unit. The ones I have seen are called klixon's. They are automatic resetable thermal overloads. (normally located on the High voltage control side [your clock will still work])
The reason for the shutdowns were that the cabinet they were mounted in did not allow enough air circulation for the magnetron.

Here's a quick thing to try. Put a small fan outside the micro to see if you can increase the air flow around the unit. Some people were removing the microwave and it would work fine on the bench but not in the cabinet.

Here is the link for the Klixon if that is the problem. You can test it with a multimeter and a hair dryer. It may look similar to the top three on the left.
http://www.sensata.com/products/cont...therm-6786.htm
You have to remove the outer cover of the microwave to find this device.
Do not run the microwave with this cover removed. There are potentially hazzardous voltages located within. Standard disclaimer about qualified personnel.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 AM   #10
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I found it was a low amp situation. Try running just the microwave on something more than 20 amps.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Pat: Give us an update.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Mine did this very thing last nite ....we have a 30amp hook-up outside our home which we were useing and we were running TV-A/C AND WHEN WE USED THE MICROWAVE IT WOULD RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN QUIT. WELL I TURNED OFF A/C FOR AS LONG AS THE FOOD HEATED UP AND NO PROBLEMS, AFTER WHICH WE TURNED A/C BACK ON.

( I'M A GENIUS!)
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote