Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Mirror door latches

One of our plastic latches for the mirror closet doors broke from flexing open. Has anyone replaced them with somthing better?

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Not sure what you would use. One of mine broke this winter when it was very cold and no heat in unit and I push the door closed quick it snapped. Got new one from dealer about 3 bucks. Need something that is flexible to be able to snap in and out of door groves.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Looking for different setup. Wife hates the plastic retainers, hard to release.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I think that just about everyone in our tour group at the factory left with a handful of those things.

I could understand them breaking in the cold. But I've had a couple of them break in the warm, and even though I've been careful to apply just enough pressure to release the doors. The others just seem to have worn out. I started to notice the edge that is supposed to flex start to go all milky in color. Wasn't too long after that that it simply fell off!

Contact Keystone and gripe. You will not be the first. And, if they treat you like they did me, they even had our dealer send me a couple via mail, the first time it happened. I checked everywhere for something equivalent, and just never came up with a thing.

I need to check again, to make sure we have enough of them to get through another year or two.

Meanwhile, since we've been stationary for a while, we haven't closed the doors all the way. Which helps airing out the closet, BTW. Ours doesn't have the cedar lining.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
WildBigBill,
We had one break also, on the right side, not all the way broken in two, but would no longer hold the door in place for traveling. It was right before we left for vacation. Looking at it, the left side of the mirror door is closer in, (it is right up against the shelf inside), giving the door a little support, so we switched the latches. It worked and is still okay, but noticed that it is starting to bend alittle - because it's not straight. The screw holes are crooked and it's making it bend slightly when shutting it. We don't shut them all the way latched unless we're moving down the road. I'm going to order about a half dozen to have on hand for us and whoever might need one. Also going to make new screw holes so the door goes in straighter and doesn't bend the latches.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know this sounds stupid but this is how those door hinges are supposed to work. You are not supposed top just slam the door shut..you are supposed top pull back on the hinge to release the pressure then close the door..and..when when opening the door do the same thing..really dumb but we were told that long ago with our previous camper>..What can I say????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Rich, it's not stupid. What is stupid it that they're made out of plastic and the more it moves and bends the weaker it gets and will eventually break. IMHO
Old 06-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wifed

Rich, it's not stupid. What is stupid it that they're made out of plastic and the more it moves and bends the weaker it gets and will eventually break. IMHO
I am thinking a magnetic latch may work..Doing it the above way in a fingernail breaker. How dumb???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Now THAT sounds like a definate possibility. Hmmmmm, hey Keystone...

It would have to be a strong magnet especially over roads like going through Knoxville TN !!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
For all our trouble breaking bathroom door latches, we have never broken one of these sliding door latches, go figure and KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

we leave the doors open, as suggested above. Gently open and close, etc.

Countryfolk has a fix for this, PM him???

Other suggestions found in a search will be spring rods and small pieces of wood cut to length, sure there are others I have forgotten, heyyyyy search engine??? !!! HA HA
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We only use the latches when traveling. When we get to where we are going we just reverse the doors (sliding each to the opposite side makes it easy to open and shut) That way you can keep the doors to your closet closed but they don't latch. We probably should get replacements and keep them handy because you do need to latch them when travelling.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
the wife and I had this issue on our last coach so we now just stop in at our old dealer and he gives us a few new ones even though he doesn't sell montys we became friends he does sell a keystone product he says they get them bye the box from the factroy they need to build a better mouse trap he says lol.........so its a keystone issue lol
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Ours broke this past winter when it was cold as well. I tried the old standby...velcro, but it did not work very well. I just bought a replacement at the local RV Shop and now carry a couple extra in the rig.