Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
2005 3400RL Partial Elec. Problem

Hi All,
We have an early 3400RL and we have lost partial power in the coach. Has anyone had an electrical problem that affected the circuit for the Living Room TV, the Refrigerator and a couple of outlets an the left side of the RV?

It's not a circuit breaker or the low voltage fuses. It may be a GFI which I will check tomorrow unless anyone has better suggestion.

Two years ago we replaced the low voltage panel and I wonder if we now have another loose wire.

Thanks for any advice. I'm moving out again tomorrow.

The Rainbirds.

Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Rainbirds,

Check your 50 amp power cord. It has two 120V legs and it sounds like one is not working or hooked up right.
They are the two flat pegs one on each side of the plug.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Sounds like you thinking right about the GFIC. My trailer is some different from yours but has a GFIC on the kitchen island that controls power to the frig, entertainment center, a couple of 110V outlets and a light in the kitchen area. I found the reason for mine being tripped was the main 110V supply line to the kitchen slide had been pinched when the slide was in and grounded out to a bolt on the slide, you might want to check outside under the slide for a similar condition.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We had this same problem. Paul is an electrician and he tried to find it but he couldn't figure it out. He refused to ruin his vacation looking any more so we just ran an extension cord for the rest of the trip. When we got home we took it to the dealer and they found that some wires had been pinched under one of the street side slides and the were able to fix it. I believe it was under the entertainment slide. It took them 3 weeks to find the darn thing. I am hoping that yours isn't that difficult to find.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Rainbirds,
I had the same problem and found the white return wire had a loose connection to the bus bar inside of the breaker panel. Look for one that has some discoloration at the end of the wire. If you are lucky it will spark for you if you move the wires.

Tighten all the screws securing the white wires to the bus bar. The circuit controls the living/dining room circuits, TV, and refrigerator/freezer. If all of these are out, but you have power in the kitchen and bedroom, then the return (white) wire from that circuit is the problem.

I hope you find the problem.
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Hi All, Everyone send great suggestions, thanks. Todays status.
I ran continuity on the power cord. So it wasn't the problem. I
found no power to the GFI circuit so the problem was back towards the elec panel. By this time I had moved to a new campground. All now works.

Two possibilities; it was the campground outlet or it is still in the panel waiting to happen again after a rough road.

Thanks again, Rainbirds
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rainbirds,

You might consider, if you have not already purchased one, a tester that can be plugged into the campground pole to test continuity and all that stuff. Al and I TRY to remember to do this BEFORE we unhook. Note the word Try, as we do forget now and then (think we are running about 50/50 on remembering! )

But, it will tell you if there is a problem with the pole. We have a few times remembered to test and found a bad pole at the site, and been able to move and not deal with troubles after being all set up.

Cheers and happy rving

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote