Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Hehr Frameless Window gasket

What have others used to gasket in a frameless window to the outside of these Montans? My new window arrived but that 18 plus foot perimeter dimension needs more then the ~12 feet that Duncan/LCI supplied.

What was supplied is a closed cell foam with an adhesive tape. I'm thinking this or similar will work just fine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4A51G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Yes, I should hold them accountable but I'm frustrated dealing with this LCI company after the fiasco of getting it shipped to the right place then having to go back for the paid for gasket and new screws which seem too short and not self drilling as the originals (which I'll be reusing)

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
43 lookers, nary a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dave, have you contacted your dealer or Team Montana? They should be able to help. I can tell you that Montana always likes us to use our dealers. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to my dealer. Did you have something happen to your window that it needed to be replaced?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Dave, have you contacted your dealer or Team Montana? They should be able to help. I can tell you that Montana always likes us to use our dealers. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to my dealer. Did you have something happen to your window that it needed to be replaced?

I know that every RV manufacturer would like a dealer used for maintenance and repairs. In a more perfect world, would like to do that for some things. Unfortunately my dealer has proven to be just barely OK, but for sure not great or even good, leaving most of the few warranty items pretty much incomplete when we did the initial return. Then there is the fact that the dealer is 200+ miles away and not somewhere I would like to leave our Montana for several months for something as simple as replacing a broken window. This is a relativelyeasy job entailing R&R of 30 screws and a installing a piece of PSA foam seal and installing the window in place. I have the window and 12-14' of seal for an 18 foot perimeter frame.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I rotated a window in our bedroom slide to mirror the other side. I removed the rubber gasket entirely and replaced it with two layers of butyl tape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLQ3WLS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
I rotated a window in our bedroom slide to mirror the other side. I removed the rubber gasket entirely and replaced it with two layers of butyl tape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLQ3WLS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I've used butyl tape on previous RVs with the older style windows. It works just fine though I don't like the ooze out and dirt it collects so am trying to find what Keystone used as original equipment.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Gotcha. I’m still cleaning off the excess. Had flipping the window not moved the seam to the top I wouldn’t have gone the butyl tape route.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Gotcha. I’m still cleaning off the excess. Had flipping the window not moved the seam to the top I wouldn’t have gone the butyl tape route.

I put the slide toppers on 3 years ago using butyl sealant tape and their awning tracks and arm assemblies are still oozing that glop. I do understand why you used it though. It is great sealant as long as you understand the major negative and are ready to do a regular clean up.