Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
D/A Power

M.O.C. #24966
2018 Montana 3811 DS Replacement

Hello all! Not many posts here from me as the wife and I have been very pleased with the performance of our Montana. Just usually on here obtaining tips and tricks from everyone. Its great to have a place like this!

Anyway, last year I noticed some delamination just above the cargo door on the door side that progressively worsened prompting me to contact Keystone. After a visit to the dealer and sharing photos, they agreed to take our unit this winter and repair it at no charge. They have been great and even asked for any and all other items that may need attention as everything would be complimentary for the troubles.

They called last week and said that they would be replacing the entire exterior side of the unit and understandably do not have aa estimated completion but that's not a problem as we of course are not full timers.

My question is whether anyone here has ever had this type of repair and what they experienced or any repair professionals who may be able to shed some light on the scope of work.

For instance:
1) What all has to be removed (Roof, front cap)?
2) Things to be aware of or look for upon return.
3) anything else?

I am of course glad the factory is doing this work as I believe them to be the most experienced and of course pleased with their responsiveness thus far.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 01-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Having had repairs done on a previous Montana at the factory I can tell you they not only did a great job but went over the whole rig and found and replaced a couple things we didn't even know were going to be a problem. Didn't have your repair, but I'd bet you'll come out fine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Been there, done that! In my case it was the ODS that was replaced (due to a frame flex problem). Mine was done in OR at the Cougar plant rather than Goshen but I don't think it matters that much (other than the parts had to be trucked to OR). The Montana folks told me that replacing a slide it actually pretty easy and the design allows for it.

The roof does not come off or even move. The side is attached but is not integral to the roof. The front and rear caps do have to be loosened on mine due to the location of the flex. But they too stay in place. The "J" wrap panels come off easily.

What is not obvious at first is that *EVERYTHING* inside that is attached to the wall does have to be removed (cabinets, window trim, etc) or disassembled (walls that are perpendicular, front closet, etc). Don't forget the slides as those walls are cut out of the wall piece. A new wall comes with corresponding new slide walls.

When you get it back, check everything. Fitment at the caps, "J" wrap, doors, windows, and compartment doors. Caulking at all seams where it is required. Inside check all the cabinets, window dressings and the like for proper reattachment. Check the decals to ensure they match color and placement compared to the other side.

My replacement was flawless and they even added a grab handle which came on later versions and mine had missed out on.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
D/A Power

M.O.C. #24966
Thanks to you both. Again, hearing that makes me glad we have a Montana and I appreciate the insight on the depth of the repair!! Exactly what I wanted to know!