Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
Montana_907
Established Member

M.O.C. #907
Trouble at the plant!

It looks like anyone who ordered a trailer for this year might have to wait a little longer for it:

[b]Dozens Of Plant Workers Fired After Failing Drug Tests

POSTED: 4:42 am CDT April 19, 2005

GOSHEN, Ind. -- Nearly one-third of the employees at a camper company in Indiana have lost their jobs after testing positive for illegal drugs.

Officials at Keystone RV Company in Goshen tested all 120 workers earlier this month after being tipped off by police.

The company said the workers gave urine samples and tested positive for either marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines or methamphetamine.

A company spokesman said the testing went smoothly. He said, "it was a cooperative group of individuals."

Workers who tested positive were put on leave. They were let go after the results were confirmed by a local medical foundation.

Montana_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ouchie

Does not say which plant, they have more than one.

signs all over the employment office, about doing drug testing, drugs are such an ugly disease.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We all know the rules and they're also made for safety. Now they have to pay the price, sad but we all have guidelines to follow.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did hear that on the news this AM. Did not say which plant it was..not that it makes any difference, but that the plant employeed 128 workers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Makes you wonder how they did there jobs! That is so sad b/c if it is there, imagine how many other places of employment??
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What a shame, Goes to show you how "Crap" like that can reck your life and, or, your business. sorta gets you to wondering if.... "Maybe thats why that water heater was put in incorrectly" the workers mind wasn't all there.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Acoording to a source at our dealers, the problem happened in the Laredo plant. I just hope it is not an epidemic. That stuff is plain stupid !!!

wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
What a shame but understandable. Why can't people realize how much drugs affect their lives. I have to agree with Keystone on this one. I know it is a big problem in the work place from stories Dennis use to tell me.

The one I don't agree with is the owner here in the Detroit area that fired his employees for smoking on their own time. These employees did not smoke at work or work property.

P.S.
I re-read my post today and I didn't make myself very clear. When I was talking about the gentlemen who fired some employees for smoking at home; it was in reference to employees smoking regular cigarettes--Winston, Marlboro. NOT any drugs. Drugs and people who are drunk do not belong in the work place.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I think people know there are some things you just can't do and still keep your job.
1. You can't come to work drunk
2. you can't kill your boss
3. You can't do drugs.
SOME MAY THINK THAT THIS IS UNFAIR BUT LIFE IS ABOUT CHOICES.
I do not feel sorry for anyone who lost their job due to bad choices I have seen to many people hurt or killed be cause of durgs or alcohol.
YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICES.
Just another thought.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Mel,
Well said!
Maybe quality control will improve.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Drugs are the bane of our existence. It is rampant in our society, but it is reassuring that Keystone took actions on this front once they were alerted. Hopefully, this would have been something they would have done even if they had discovered this without police intervention.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #12
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Humm......maybe our new 3400RL has problems for a good reason. I say good for Keystone, there business would be in trouble if everyone that has purchased a new Montana in the last few months, have as many problems as we have.... they had to replace the counter top - it was warped... the closet doors in the entry were warped.. so they replaced them, our mattress had a spring come threw it in less than 2 weeks, and we are not big people and we are old!! so they replaced it. Our bathroom door had to be taken off and re-hung, our outside door wouldn't lock and they fixed that, and we are still having problems with the kitchen slide leaking when we travel when it is raining, we end up with water on the floor, and they have worked on that for 2 full days, and it still isn't fixed, and oh yes our power inverter burned out 2 days after we picked our new unit up. There was another couple in our winter FL park that bought the same trailer from the same dealer, 2 weeks after we did, and they were in theres 2 weeks when the power inverter went out. Please don't get me wrong... we love this unit, and when all the problems are fixed we will love it even more. We were unhappy with the dealer, out of Ocala FL., as the sales person couldn't do enough for us until he had the sale, but the service dept. were not at all helpful when we called with all these problems. It took us driving to the dealers and talking to them in person, 3 times- with everyone in the place hearing what was being said, we felt that they treated us like we were stupid and didn't know what we were talking about. We have had RV's for 30 years. Once we went there with our outfit and spent 4 days on there lot, they were very nice, and we did tell them that we wished that they had been like this from the start. We did not get angry, or yell, we just told them that we wanted it fixed or they could keep it. Maybe our purchase didn't make or brake the dealer, but it was a MAJOR purchase for us!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well done Keystone. Good luck to you.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
That might explain why the factory "forgot" to put in our central vacuum system! Actually, I think it was because our unit came off-line the day before Thanksgiving, and I'm sure they were hurrying to go home. I'm amazed there weren't more problems with ours considering.

As to the drugs, as a child of the 60's/70's, I know how much influence drugs have had on our society over the years, and "there but for the Grace of God go I!"
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #15
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Thank you Keystone!!!! As a retired skilled trades construction person I would not work with anyone that was high or drunk. Less chance of getting hurt that way. I lost friends on the job because of people doing stupid stuff. Thank God I wasn't among the wounded or killed by booze or drugs. I don't want to sound preachy but there is NO place for that stuff in the work place.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #16
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Where I work, we have done routine and surprise drug and alcohol testing for quite a number of years. I have even had to take a drug sniffing dog and handler around the compound after normal working hours. I work for an oil company where we daily deal with poison gas, high pressure, flammable crudes. All the workers depend on each other and it is nice to know that they are clear thinking and alert to dangers of our job. Drugs are rampant here in ND, as they are everywhere. It really is a shame that those lives are clouded by poor choices. They miss so much. Just my opinion.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #17
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
No criticism of Keystone for taking acion. Far too much is riding on employees doing a good job and drugs do not coexist with good jobs. Well done -this is a positive story - just wish more companies would take the time to week out the bad apples no matter how many there are.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #18
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Just a thought...wonder if they test the delivery drivers? probably not, as they're a different company.I think all semi drivers should be tested.Highways are scary enough when everyone is sober & clear headed.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's a couple newspaper articles...

http://www.etruth.com/News/Content.aspx?ID=346210&page=

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=3230297
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
camper,

I have a CDL ( Commercial Drivers ) licence. To keep it I must have a Drug test every year and be subject to random tests, also a Physical every two years. This is a Federal Requirement for all CDL holders.

I would guess not all RV delivery drivers have CDL's as it is not required for RV drivers, but it is required for all Semi drivers.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote