Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Water pressure dwindles

I am hooked up to city water. When you turn on a faucet (any faucet) the water pressure is pretty good, but it immediately declines slowly to a trickle. There are not leaks anywhere to be found. It seems like the pressure will build up to an ok pressure, but it doesn't stay when the water is running. We took off the pressure regulator in case it was having issues. There is sufficient water pressure at the spigot. I suspect that there is a type of pressure regulator inside the line where the hose connects to. There is a spring in there and some plastic pieces. I think this may be broken or not working as it should.

Can anyone explain the functioning of this and if and how it is replaceable and if you think this could be causing my problems.

dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The water inlets are held in place by three screws on my 2013 model. The spring and place disc are there to close the water inlet when water is turned off/hose disconnected to prevent water from flowing back out the inlet. On your pressure issue, what do you see on your water pressure regulator gauge when you open an rv faucet? If it drops quite a bit, then the issue is rv park supply and we have seen that before in some parks. If you have filters inline, what happens to water flow inside when they are removed? We were using a "ceramic candle system" as one of our filters and it got contaminated by water in one park that rendered it useless and caused our water pressure to drop as yours is doing. The usual cleaning only lasted for two days before flow was once again crappy.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
There is no filter installed. The park water supply seems to have a lot of pressure, but I will hook the regulator back up to see if the pressure drops with it. I don't see any screws , just the hose connection going through the wall.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What year an model Montana do you have? There are differences and having that information makes diagnosis easier (and more accurate).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Have you tried filling your fresh water tank and running water with your on-board water pump? Add some water to the fresh water tank (like 10 gallons or so), turn off the shore water spigot, and turn on your water pump. See if the pressure remains stable or if it declines also. If it declines, then you have an obstruction somewhere in the system. If it stays steady, then I would suspect the campground water or an obstruction in your garden hose.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Some on this forum have reported that the check valve, spring & disc, where you hook the city water hose gets crooked and gives a partial blockage.Think when I had the issue the screen on the washer was deformed causing the check valve to be in a cocked position. When the screen wasn't the issues some have been able to resolve the issue by exercising the spring with their finger or a screw driver. On mine you have to remove the washer/screen to exercise the check valve. Easiest & fastest place to check.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #7
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
We recently had the same issue, check the aerator for debris, although we have always used a water filter, I had found debris in the aerator, I think it was scale from the hot water tank.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It sounds like a flow issue instead of a pressure issue. Pressure can build over time with the spigot off. However, maintaining adequate flow at good pressure is a common problem especially at rv parks. That's why we installed a high performance water pump. If a park supplies an inadequate water supply, we can switch over to the fresh water tank and shower like at home.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #9
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I had the exact same problem. It turned out to be kinked water lines. Water will flow through the kinked area and build up pressure, but as soon as you turn on the water, the kinked area immediately slows down the flow to almost nothing. I'll be very surprised if a kinked line isn't your problem.

Remove the cover behind the water hook up and check the lines. One of my lines was bent into a less than 90 degree bend and kinked, which restricted the flow to almost nothing. While you're in there, look for lines that are close enough together to hit each other when the water pump pulses. I used Styrofoam pipe insulation to cushion any lines close to each other. Now my water pump runs so quiet that I almost can't hear it.

Hope this turns out to be your problem. It's a fairly easy fix with the right tools.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
I am hooked up to city water. When you turn on a faucet (any faucet) the water pressure is pretty good, but it immediately declines slowly to a trickle. There are not leaks anywhere to be found. It seems like the pressure will build up to an ok pressure, but it doesn't stay when the water is running. We took off the pressure regulator in case it was having issues. There is sufficient water pressure at the spigot. I suspect that there is a type of pressure regulator inside the line where the hose connects to. There is a spring in there and some plastic pieces. I think this may be broken or not working as it should.

Can anyone explain the functioning of this and if and how it is replaceable and if you think this could be causing my problems.
You are actually talking about two things, pressure and volume or flow. Right now the sun is beating down on the hose and causing the water inside to expand quite a bit, that gives the appearance of high pressure but then reverts to normal. Keep in mind, your house is probably in the 90PSI range, an RV is typically supplied with less and regulated to between 30 and 50 depending on if you have a cheap reducer or a proper metered adjustable regulator.
When you say 'hose connects to' do you mean at the RV end or the supply end. If it's the supply, those springs etc are probably an anti-siphon valve, it may also be an anti-siphon on the RV end but most RV's have a builtin valve inside somewhere.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #11
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Because you get good pressure when you first torn a faucet on, the symptom you describe is not a pressure problem, it is a flow problem. I'd be checking everything from the pedestal water spigot to the back side of the convenience center. Assuming that the pressure and flow at the spigot are good, it could be a defective backflow preventer where the hose connects in the convenience center or it could be a kinked PEX line behind the convenience center. What happens with pressure and flow when you pull water from the fresh tank with the onboard water pump? If that works well it will help to narrow down the source of your problem.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #12
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
I think it is the check valve. Can I just take this out?
Old 06-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
You could but they are easy to replace. Mine had a bad habit of sticking in the open position. That meant that when I was running on the fresh tank and the water pump, it would pump water out of the hose connection. The OEM part was a plastic one. I replaced it with a brass one. All is well now.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #14
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
I will try some water in the holding tank tomorrow since that is the easiest thing to do. I haven't tested the water pump on this trailer yet, so it will give me a chance to do so.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Do you use a zero g or similar hose? This style hose requires high pressure to maintain it's shape. When pressure is reduced by opening a faucet, if there isn't enough pressure the hose can kink thereby reducing flow.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
It was the check valve. It was broken inside and when we took it off it fell apart. We are using the fitting with the open hole until I can order a new one. A couple of twists in the hunt for the cause. 1) we do use a zero g hose. I will keep the kinking issue in mind for the future. 2) my dh was using 2 plastic quick connect fittings on the zero g to keep from connecting it directly to the brass fittings. Both of those disconnects have check valves also. They don't seem to be causing any issues, but I can see where they would with less incoming water pressure.

Thanks for all the responses, I had a very nice shower. I Don't really like the oxigenics shower head though. Any thoughts on those?