Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Baggage Door Hinge

My 2012 Montana Mountaineer has the Baggage Slam doors which are very nice from the earlier models and one of the hinges is working loose and now some of the many screws won't tighten up. Anyone else have this problem. IM thinking replace the screws with the next size up plus add a little wood glue? Warranty is up in couple of weeks and this is probably what the dealer will do? Anyone with previous experience with the newer style doors and hinges working loose?

Thanks

F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I haven't had that problem with my Monty, but My Winnebagos did. I put J-B weld in the holes, solved the problem on them
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Do you really mean "hinges" or are you referring to the mounting plates for the struts? If it is hinges, I got nothing. If it is the mounting plates, welcome to the club. Screws coming loose are a very common problem. Larger screws will make bigger holes when they too pull loose. The door walls as very thin and the sheet metal screws they use will pull loose due to the power of the struts.

You can search here for some of the things other members have tried. Keystone tried adhesive behind the plates on the door side of mine. Those came loose. On the ODS they used pop rivets (as near as I can tell) and those are holding. The dealer re-did the DS door with dowels glued to the inside and then screws into the dowels. That seems to be working for now.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by F3fifty

My 2012 Montana Mountaineer has the Baggage Slam doors which are very nice from the earlier models and one of the hinges is working loose and now some of the many screws won't tighten up. Anyone else have this problem. IM thinking replace the screws with the next size up plus add a little wood glue? Warranty is up in couple of weeks and this is probably what the dealer will do? Anyone with previous experience with the newer style doors and hinges working loose?

Thanks
I would use the same size screws, but use toothpicks and the wood glue you were thinking about.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wooden matches work well with the wood glue also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Do you really mean "hinges" or are you referring to the mounting plates for the struts? If it is hinges, I got nothing. If it is the mounting plates, welcome to the club. Screws coming loose are a very common problem. Larger screws will make bigger holes when they too pull loose. The door walls as very thin and the sheet metal screws they use will pull loose due to the power of the struts.

You can search here for some of the things other members have tried. Keystone tried adhesive behind the plates on the door side of mine. Those came loose. On the ODS they used pop rivets (as near as I can tell) and those are holding. The dealer re-did the DS door with dowels glued to the inside and then screws into the dowels. That seems to be working for now.
Correct the mounting plate is coming loose and the screws can't be tightened. Your ideas are appreciated. thank you. Guess it's not a rare occurrence to see the plates working loose. Keystone sure puts enough screws in the plate and it still doesn't hold well.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Wooden matches work well with the wood glue also.
Also, the old fix of toothpicks jammed in the screw hole with Elmer's glue works well. That's what I have done over the years with our RVs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Just a question, if you take the strut off, will the door swing all the way up against the side wall like the older ones? If so, I think I would trash the strut and put a chrome latch on the side to hold the door open. Problem solved. JMO
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes we have this problem with our 2013 3402 big Sky and have asked the service center for a fix. here is their E mail

Hello Mr. LaScola,

This is the feedback from our technician on the baggage door:

I recommend dealers install a piece of diamond plate behind where the strut attaches to.

If the door issue is presented through Country RV, this is the repair our tech department would recommend.

Regards,

Robyne Hakes

RVIA Certified Technician

Keystone Customer Relations

866-425-4369

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since this has been a problem ever since they started putting those struts on, why isn't the diamond plate there from the factory?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:

Since this has been a problem ever since they started putting those struts on, why isn't the diamond plate there from the factory?
Money and common sense
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Prolly cuz every 10 cents you add to the mfg of the rv translates into 10 dollars in the final product. Trying to meet a price point with cut corners. I was aghast reading the thread about the flex frame issues on the front end. Cost of quality gusseting and weight issues give way to the almighty bean counters that make the ultimate decisions. Course, that happens in everything.. including our pullers.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We had the same issue within weeks of delivery. Luckily they pulled out right on the dealers lot. First issue was they installed struts that were too heavy - so they replaced them. Then they put metal plates and reattached the struts with rivets and not screws and we have not had an issue since.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

The conversation with the service center started out with " we have never heard of that problem." I could not get it repaired at a dealer if it was a problem Keystone never heard of. Now they heard of it and suggest a fix. When it is confirmed that he dealer knows of the fix and has the materials and knowledge to do the fix we will take it in to be repaired. We are closing in on the problem and fix. This is stupid.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I've used this method with a lot of success.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I would use the same size screws, but use toothpicks and the wood glue you were thinking about.
Good luck.
Ozz
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Isn't it a shame we have to use "toothpicks and glue" to fix these very expensive trailers? Its a good thing there are so many enginous people on this forum that can save us money and time to fix their sloppy workmanship.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I recommend dealers install a piece of diamond plate behind where the strut attaches to.

What does she mean by "behind where the strut attaches to"?

That could be interpreted a couple of ways.

On the inside of the door between the strut and the door (adding more beef to attach to)? I know people have done this with larger plates, epoxy, and more screws... Then attached the strut to that plate.

Or

On the outside of the door? An easier, (but possibly more unsightly) fix?

I've contemplated doing the latter with some 1/8" polished stainless plate.

What i did was to move my strut down 1/2" and carefully torque the screws. Holding fine so far but these doors have so little to bite into that all bets are off.

Has anyone had the factory "fix" made? Would love to see some pictures.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
To all, very good information and thanks for sharing. I didn't realize when I posted the problem that the mounting plate for the baggage doors was a weak point and many others have had base plate mounting issues. The door plate that has worked loose with screws that won't hold hasn't been opened and closed no more than a dozen times. Warranty is off next week and I'll be in Grand Teton NTL Park. IM going to eventually fix it myself so it will stay fixed. When I purchased this 5ver a plus was the Baggage style slam doors and I never thought this upgrade would be a point of concern. Doesn't show well for Keystone's design and craftsmanship in my opinion. Any more ideas please post and thanks for sharing your thoughts and fixes.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
One of my hinges kept doing the same thing...remounted the plate about a 1/2 inch lower on the door...works and holds just fine....plate mounted to high on door was always under pressure by the cylinder...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We had the same issue Vern. I fixed it myself by using #12 screws instead of the ones supplied. Drill the holes in the plate slightly larger to accommodate the larger screws. DO NOT ENLARGE THE HOLES IN THE DOOR. I've had no problem since. I tried epoxy as well-it broke loose. If you look closely at the original screws, there is very little thread to grip the fiberglass panel. It's been over a year since I repaired ours on both sides.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote