Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
Replacing entry door.

Hi all. I have a little project ahead of me. The entry door of the Monty de-laminated and my replacement door from Keystone is being delivered to a local RV dealer. The dealer was not happy about getting involved because we didn't buy our Monty from them (they only sell KZ). When it does arrive I will be replacing it myself or I'll be waiting until they are ready to help me out. Has anyone replaced their door? It looks pretty straight forward...pull the pins and away you go. I haven't seen the new door yet to confirm this though. Any help to get a better idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Let me tell you a door story. My 2011 came with too stiff a gas strut, so it sprung the hinges on my door. Took it to the dealer figuring they'd just replace the hinges. Wrong ... the door comes as a unit ... frame and all. After removing the frame screws, the service tech pryed around the perimeter of the door frame using no material for backup. When I went to pick up the fiver, I had about two dozen little "tick" marks in the gell coat all around the door. A body shop ended up fixing that fiasco. They also failed to order new graphics as the door does not come with them. No graphics on any two campers is in exactly the same place thus new decals need to be ordered. The new door lock tumbler wouldn't work very well, so after several repair efforts, I just had them put my old latch on the new door. Perhaps your door will be different, but mine had hinges pop riveted to the door and frame with hinge pins that didn't seem to easily be driven out, but pressed in 1/2 of the hinge. If you do end up replacing the entire door ... be sure to back up between the pry bar and siding with thin plywood or something. It takes a bit to overcome the weatherstrip sealing the door to the outside wall once the screws are removed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nothing is ever simple..
Good advice from my learned friend, just take your time and think out each step, do a ton of measuring before removing the door.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
And carefully use a razor knife to cut the existing silicone around the door.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
hmmmmm....nothing is easy it seems. I was hoping that I could remove the hinges, but it looks like this is going to be quite a project. No decals either. I'll have to call Keystone and have some sent out (door was under warranty when reported). Thanks all for the info. (I think!!)
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote