Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Replace all carpets with vinyl

I asked my dealer today about replacing the existing vinyl and carpets with vinyl in my Montana. The service rep said that it would not be a problem and that the carpets on/in the slides would also be replaced with the new vinyl. Anyone had any experience with doing this...especially pulling our the carpets in the slides and replacing with vinyl?? I wonder how the fixed floor and the moving floor in the slides would meet?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
When we ordered our 3400RL last Feb. we were told it could be done and we paid extra money to order the extra lino. When the order was reviewed by the plant mgr. we were told that they wouldn't do it because they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't get ruined by the slides. Soo... we are getting the regular carpet and our extra money back.

Good luck with your flooring.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
There have been folks on here that replaced the carpet and vinyl with laminate flooring, which is what my DW wants me to do next winter. I put Pergo in my entryway, powder room, kitchen, dining nook and laundry room and two closets in my stick home in Alaska. This was back when the stuff had to be glued together, now it just snaps together. What a job that was, took me a good month to do it all, Many angles that needed cutting. Was well worth the effort when finished. We are at a Resort now that has blacktop streets and I don't think they clean them as the dog and us were tracking in a nice black coating. We have to remove shoes and wipe dogs feet every time we walk her. Just not sure how much more weight will be added by adding a laminate....Anyone know?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
You can figure laminate flooring weighs about 1.5-1.75 lbs. per sq ft....so a 10x10 area would weigh 150+ lbs.

I've been looking at my slides regarding this same issue. My issue is with the leading edge of the slides. I'm not sure yet how to bullnose it so that it floats a bit. I'm workin' on it tho'.

Now...when I was shopping for a 5er, I went to see one at a dealer in january. He knew I was coming,,and had it pulled inside, snow and all. Somehow, someway when they brought the one slide in there was snow plugging something, and it tipped the slide downward as it came in. I guess the slides were out when it was outside. All I know is, the vinyl flooring was ripped to shreds !

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
BTW, there is a product to consider. It's a vinyl flooring that looks like laminate planking. It's very inexpensive, but it's actually a decent looking floor. AND you don't have to worry about moisture. It's called Novalis. Lowe's sells it. Lighter than laminate too. This is a peel and stick product, but don't let that put you off. I think for the money, it's a great alternative.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I took the carpet out of my rig in the kitchen/living area and replaced it with laminate. It was worth every second of labor. Cost was just at 200.00 and that included upgraded padding under the laminate. The only thing to be real careful about is to be sure that there are no staples sticking out on the bottom of the slide outs. I finished the job and put the slides in and heard a nasty scratching sound. YUP you guessed it a big scratch in my new floor. The neat thing about laminate is that I was able to pop the damaged piece out and replaced it in about 30 minutes. The whole job from tearing out the old carpet and pulling up the old vinyl and installing the new flooring was just at 9 hours. Just pulling the old carpet staples was about 90 minutes of the job. I have pics and someone else sent me detailed instructions if anyone wants them. I will try to post the pics here in the next couple of days if anyone wants them. The best advise I can give is to be sure to go to a good flooring store and buy the upgraded laminate pad. The stuff HomeDepot and Lowes sells is garbage. The laminate I used is HomeDepot's cheap stuff called Tacoma Oak and it is .99 per sq ft. 20.00 bucks a box and matches the cabinets great. It is actually quieter with than the carpet and is wearing well. I left my slides with carpet to make the job easy.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Mark,
I would like to see pictures when you get a chance to post them.
Jack
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

BTW, there is a product to consider. It's a vinyl flooring that looks like laminate planking. It's very inexpensive, but it's actually a decent looking floor. AND you don't have to worry about moisture. It's called Novalis. Lowe's sells it. Lighter than laminate too. This is a peel and stick product, but don't let that put you off. I think for the money, it's a great alternative.
I emailed the company that manufactures the peel and stick vinyl planks at Lowes. They do not recommend putting on OSB decking. Home Depot carries a vinyl plank called Allure. It has peel and stick edges, but floats on the floor. One of these days, I plan to put some in our living, dining, kitchen area. I've seen a couple rigs with the laminate in the slide. Both units had a nice trip hazard where it overlapped. Gettin' old and fallin' don't go good together, so I'm not gonna try the laminate in the slide.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Boy would I like laminate! I see the carpet as a big headache with the 4 dogs we have - furry feet and an oooops once in awhile with the puppy. I would love to see the pictures!
Thanks.
Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026

"I emailed the company that manufactures the peel and stick vinyl planks at Lowes. They do not recommend putting on OSB decking."

That's true I'm sure, however I've never put down any type of laminate/aircell/vinyl/etc over osb without first sealing it. I should have mentioned that I guess.

"Home Depot carries a vinyl plank called Allure. It has peel and stick edges, but floats on the floor."

Yes, actually a nice product, and easy to change out damaged pieces..but I'm not sure if the floating scenario would be ok in a 5er. Laminates float, but the rigidity would keep problems from occuring.

Armstrong also has a product...a sheet vinyl...that floats, and it has a sort of aircell over the back built right onto the vinyl. It's really nice (if your not looking for the wood plank look), and you can simply use contact cement on the corners/edges.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Thanks to all! I think we will hold off a bit until we have seen a couple of "working" examples...as one member wrote "trip hazard" just waiting to happen in reference to where the moving slide floor and the fixed floor meet. Again, thanks for all of the info.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I was bugged about this, so after posting I went to work on it...I think I have solved the leading edge, i.e., "tripping" issue but I still need to work on it. I've got it on paper, but physically need to build it. Actually, I think it's so cool I may patent it and retire on the royalties. Will be able to use it with all laminates and vinyl flooring.
Bill

Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We normally do not camp in cold weather however it was a bit chilly in Florida this winter and the floor was at times cold with carpets. IMO a wood or vinyl floor would lead to frostbite of the feet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We normally do not camp in cold weather however it was a bit chilly in Florida this winter and the floor was at times cold with carpets. IMO a wood or vinyl floor would lead to frostbite of the feet.
One word; socks.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Armstrong also has a product...a sheet vinyl...that floats, and it has a sort of aircell over the back built right onto the vinyl. It's really nice (if your not looking for the wood plank look), and you can simply use contact cement on the corners/edges.
Too many nooks and crannies for me to put down sheet vinyl. I've put some down before, but it ain't gonna happen in the fiver.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #16
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I have done both Montanas we have had, but just the floor not the slide, it is realitive easy job and the best part is if u ruin a board it is easily replaced. I also purchsed a couple of "slide glides" to prevent scratching the floor. It matches the wood and looks nice and real easy to keep clean.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #17
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
We took out the carpet in our living area, and replaced with self stick laminate. I always spent alot of time cleaning the carpet after the big dog went swimming, and tried to track everything in. Use a couple of throw rugs that can be replaced, so that we can keep the feet warm during the winter, and the pup has a place to lay down on.

The vinyl I put down was 1 foot squares with self stick on back. It also said not to lay it on OSB without sealing it. Not a problem. After ensuring floor was completely clean of all staples and dirt, rolled out a paint primer on floor. Took all of about 30 minutes, dried completely in about an hour, and then chalked my lines and started. I think panels adhered even better to the primer. Bought pre stained cove molding for floor, and done! Wife loves it, it's easier for me to keep vacuumed, and dog could care less.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I don't know if I am doing this correctly but here is a link to some of the pictures.

I started on the passenger side at the entrance and worked my way to the rear and drivers side. You need to put together a few planks before putting into position. With there not being a wall to hammer against it is easier to put together a few planks and then slide them in place and build from there.I just left the edges at the slide-outs free floating. There is no nails or glue used in the floor. The floor is a full floating one and a couple of items to be careful of to keep it floating. Be sure to leave a gap at all the walls and where the floor registers are screwed to the floor you need to drill the hole though the laminate bigger than the screws so that the floor can float around that also. I also drilled the holes bigger on the metal step edge at the entrance. When putting the trim pieces on for the edges you can use the pre-finished pieces that match the flooring and be sure to nail it to the wall or the sub-floor not the laminate floor. These floors do not like water so I did not do the bathroom. If you do a bathroom or shower area be sure to silicone all the edges. Clean up on the floor is a simple dry mop for most days and I use a swifter or laminate mop and cleaner if it gets bad. Our floor has had heavy usage by the kids and is subject to lots of sand from the beach in Mexico. With the upgraded floor padding with moisture barrier I think we are close to what the carpet had for temperature transfer from the floor. This is a very easy project and took only 1 day. Let me know if anyone needs other details.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10724457...8530/5thWheel#
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #19
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Looks very nice Mark. This would also be cheaper than paying someone to install new carpet and it looks better.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote