Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Microwave door won't !!

Charlie is on the road now and can't get his microwave door open. He has the Apollo 1/2 bake oven. Something broke inside and they want to get the food out this evening. Please reply so we can help him with his problem.

Larry

Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Larry,

Just replaced the door on ours. I actually don't believe you can get it open if it breaks latched shut.

Would suggest removing the microwave with the food in it, deposit in can, and replace with any of the comparable microwave/convection ovens that fit in the hole.

Someone may have an easier solution -
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We called Apollo and they told us how to get the door open. We ended up unscrewing the hinge and then was able to lift it up enough to get it open. We had beef stew in there and didn't want it to stay very long. We haven't found a replacement as yet. But are still looking.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Brad

Ok Brad, do you want it deposited in your can, or will you come and get it?

Parrothead

I called Charlie and he tried what you said and he got it open, thanks for all the replies, even yours Brad.

Larry
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
michael

M.O.C. #6600
The same thing happened to us on a camping trip. Remove the 6 screws holding the front cover piece on and remove. Once this is off you can pry open the door. We continued using the microwave till returned home.

Mike
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
RICHFAA - posted this about 9 months ago, there is a fix, if you call them they will send you a different latch. I and several other's have done this. It take's about twenty minutes to switch the latch out and your good to go. They sent the latch very quickly at no charge.

Ours has been just fine Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry nobody liked my suggestion, but it works for me. Mine will be "in the can" by the curb next wednesday, along with the used, scratched up front door I got for a replacement (had to buy it) because the glass broke before we ever got the Monty home from the dealer.

I've got better things to do on vacation than ordering parts.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You have suffered the "broken latch" problem. Lynn, The nice lady at Apollo will send you a new latch. To get your food out without damage to the oven, you will have to remove the black outside cover, no easy task, and release the latch, it is on the lower right side looking at the oven.There are about 13 screws holding the cover on including 2 that you will have to break off//Actually Brad's suggestion is not a bad one.The oven we have now has been working for over 2 months..next time it fails it is in the trash can.It is doubtful that you can find a direct fit replacement. Even Keystone admits that the Apollo is the ONLY 1/2 time oven that will fit in that space.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Montana must have bought a bunch of 1/2 time ovens and built a camper around it.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
In talking to Charles Wade, the Keystone Rep, this weekend at our local RV show, He says the Apollo is the only 1/2 time oven that will fit in that space. There are larger ovens available but you lose the kitchen window. Closest thing is a 30" oven. He says they bought 8,000 of them, but the manuf in China admitted that is a very small order so he thinks they got the worst of the lot. He is looking at changing them but most people who have one that works really love it and don't want to give them up, even in the newer units......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad, is this in your new unit already? Didnt they give you a replacement? Or did you just decide to go with another brand?
It sure would be nice if Keystone would come out with a more reliable microwave. We didnt have any trouble with the one in the 2955RL but the scratches on the door and cover are terrible and I have to say in the new unit it is the same scatches ...I even tried a wax and it did no good ...looks like it is between the glass... Really do like the 1/2 bake oven and would hate to give it up so I hope this one is problem free.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Campbud, it was the door on the new one we replaced a couple of weeks ago after I broke the original glass. The replacement was a used door and was pretty scratched up. (frustrating) It took every wierd tool I had to take that thing apart, and like Rich said, 2 of the screws require a bit I have never seen before.

Westland has been very good with servicing these, however between circuit boards, latches, power surges, and now the thought of spending half the day trying to get a bowl of soup out of there before we can travel, I'm really thinking a standard black microwave like the Dometic we had in our 2955 will suit us fine. That thing never let us down. Sears has several with trim rings that will fit nicely.

The Apollo gets one chance...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
GE, someone had posted the model number a while back, does make a 1/2 time oven that is real close to the Apollo measurements, Don't know if it is any better, Saw one at home depot. Helen would hate to part with the 1/2 time oven but we have been trough latches, ckt boards, magnetron's, and finally a entire new oven.. Enough already???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Brad

I can see why you said to take it to the trash can, and Apollo one more chance.

Larry