Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Bye! Bye! AAA!!! Hello Good Sams!

We've had AAA for almost 40 yrs now and the RV Plus since it came out. We TRIED to use it for the first time today. This morning while leaving the Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH, the departure lanes narrowed down to 1 lane with the traffic cones placed on the inside our lane. We had to drive the passenger-side tires of our TV and Monty side off the berm. When we went to get back on the road, we sheared the underside spring pin on the rear axle and the passenger side rear axle slid up the spring to the shackle, shredding the outside of our G614 and slightly grooving the driver side of the same axle. We know that by having the G614, it prevented an accident and a definite blowout.

We called AAA but they said it would be over a 3 hr wait because the heavy duty tow truck was up in New York! We said unacceptable and before I became upset asked my wife to continue with the call. After all info given...a few minutes later AAA called back and said it would be over 24hrs. We then, after surveying under the camper and finding out I could loosen the ubolts and after my wife retrieved 3 of the springs that were laying back along the highway we could put on 1 spare and return home slowly for the hr drive. AAA said they would send someone to change the spare but it would cost us because they didn't have the equipment to jack up the tire. Although we pointed out that it was for that same advertised reason that we had RV Plus, it just didn't matter to them. After our complaint and assuring them that I had already placed 2 bottle jacks underneath the trailer, they said someone could be around in about an hour or so to put the spare on.....at no charge....since we had the tire off the ground. The rest is history. We told them forget about it, we didn't need them, and would be switching services asap. But.... a Cedar Point Rep stopped by on the causeway and asked if she could get some maintenance personnel to help us and of course, we accepted. Within about twenty minutes we were on our way. I just need to replace 2 tires and replace the sheared spring pin. And although AAA has been there for our family for the car and TV, we are now planning on switching over to Good Sams. Cedar Point didn't have to do what they did, but we're glad for the good Samaritans' that they are. Bless God. What a day!