Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
New to camping like this

Pat and I are both very new to "Montana Camping" and so we are learning a lot from others. We have a trip planned for several weeks and have heard that if you only need a place to park overnight you could used Walwart or Truck Stops to lay over the night. I know this sounds cheap, but we are just wondering if anyone has done this or if you know if it is done. Thanks for your help.
Alan

AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Alan
If your ever at a Walmart late a t night most likely there will be a camper there. In some locations as Myrtle Beach they dont allow it. But most do. If in question go talk to the store manager. I have used them as well. Truck stops and rest areas were truckers spend the night are very noisy. Cracker Barrel if you come in late will most likely let you was well.
Gary
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
Thank you for your reply.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary Christy

Alan
If your ever at a Walmart late a t night most likely there will be a camper there. In some locations as Myrtle Beach they dont allow it. But most do. If in question go talk to the store manager. I have used them as well. Truck stops and rest areas were truckers spend the night are very noisy. Cracker Barrel if you come in late will most likely let you was well.
Gary
AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Alan -

As stated, Cracker Barrel is a great place to spend the night. Plus, you don't have far to go for breakfast in the morning. Congratulations and enjoy your new home on wheels. Montana Camping is habit forming.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Take a look at http://freecampgrounds.com. They have listings of 1700+ free or very cheap campgrounds, as well as an incomplete list of Walmarts that don't allow overnighting.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Please be considerate, no awnings, bbq's, no lawn chairs, no more than one night and most people say no slides. I have used my slides on one side once but the guy next to me had his out and we overlapped. I actually saw someone dump a gray water tank right in the parking lot. That is the stuff that hurts us all.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Most of the WalMarts not allowing overnighters is because there is a city ordinance against it, local RV parks have complained about it, or because of the "inconsiderate" campers mentioned above. Sometimes large, heavy motorhomes can damage the surface with their leveling systems.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have stayed in many Walmarts across the country. I typically do not get off the road until 9 PM or later, so my stays are usually brief. I never drop the jacks; however, I will open the drivers side slides if I can park that side up against a curb where the slides will overhang the grass.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have both heard and read that parking in the Walmart should be considered a privilege according to Walmart store managers interviewed by various RV magazines.

I interpret it as you may stay overnight but don't abuse the facilities - park as you would if you were going to shop there and have a real large vehicle that would inconvenience others (gee, I guess we have that). Park way in the back, don't drop jacks, don't set up as if you are camping there. You may slideout, but that should be about it. Keep hitched up and never, ever, open your valves. No awnings, lawn chairs, no staking into their grass, asphalt or anything else. Avoid the generator, too. Consider it a rest stop, not a camping night, and any disturbances would impact the non-Walmart neighbors.

I hope this helps to keep things kind and considerate for the rest of us. Oh yes, do check on which Walmarts "can't" allow overnighters due to reasons beyond store kindness.

Happy napping,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Don't forget Camping World. Have spent the night there. Some offer electric also. There is also always something I need in the store to say thanks.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Never stayed at Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel or any of the others but that isn’t to say that I wouldn’t. When we travel we like to get off the road by supper time and that usually coordinates into finding a campground somewhere. If I was traveling across country and felt like driving that many hours I certainly would consider it. It just doesn’t seem to me like it would be a place where I could sleep comfortably.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ditto what Bill-N-Donna said.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We aren't traveling yet. We just go to CG close to home. When we do start our journeys though it is nice to know that Walley World is there with their security cameras!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote