Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #21
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
unless you have the money to waste I'd stay the way you are now. you are going to have issues trying to run 2 or 3 A/Cs with solar.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Getting solar is not really practical if you are going from power pole to power pole. It really shines (pun not intended) for boondocking and can pay for itself much faster in that role. 60 boondocking days per year could recoup upto $3000/yr of your upfront expense.

Using solar on an RV to replace metered electric CG power will take a decade or more to recover just the upfront cost never mind the investment opportunity lost had you invested the money in, say, an S&P 500 mutual fund instead. You could for instance use that strategy and use the profits to pay for your solar or electric bills and still have the original nut when you come off the road. Food for thought. Don't forget to weigh benefit of the fed tax credit (22% in 2021) on solar installs.

Do the math before taking the solar leap. YMMV.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #23
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Getting solar is not really practical if you are going from power pole to power pole. It really shines (pun not intended) for boondocking and can pay for itself much faster in that role. 60 boondocking days per year could recoup upto $3000/yr of your upfront expense.

Using solar on an RV to replace metered electric CG power will take a decade or more to recover just the upfront cost never mind the investment opportunity lost had you invested the money in, say, an S&P 500 mutual fund instead. You could for instance use that strategy and use the profits to pay for your solar or electric bills and still have the original nut when you come off the road. Food for thought. Don't forget to weigh benefit of the fed tax credit (22% in 2021) on solar installs.

Do the math before taking the solar leap. YMMV.
How does that work exactly? I heard Jason Sele did his that way when it was around 28-30%. I know there's a tax form for it, forgot the number, but how does that work when you are installing it? Or does it come after install?
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If your primary mode of travel is boondocking it may be worth the $$$. We do not boondock, ever. We are pull through, full hookup, 50amp when in travel. I am old and lazy and I try not to overwork Helen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
How does that work exactly? I heard Jason Sele did his that way when it was around 28-30%. I know there's a tax form for it, forgot the number, but how does that work when you are installing it? Or does it come after install?
can't tell you the exact rules for getting it, but you report it on your tax return and then (2021) 22% of your allowable install expense is credited against your taxes due for the 2021 tax year, and unused portion will rollover to future tax years. Nothing comes upfront when you get the install. 22% of your expense is a substantial amount of money when you are talking 10-20,000 dollars.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 12-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
can't tell you the exact rules for getting it, but you report it on your tax return and then (2021) 22% of your allowable install expense is credited against your taxes due for the 2021 tax year, and unused portion will rollover to future tax years. Nothing comes upfront when you get the install.
Thank you! Kind of what I figured.

Say, got a pic of your RV Security Beagle?

AC
Old 12-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #27
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Thank you! Kind of what I figured.

Say, got a pic of your RV Security Beagle?

AC
RV Security Beagle Mk1 "Josie" Equipped with optional Tornado siren mimic device which activates on test days and when local FD rolls by on a call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Josie watching me.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	8101  

Old 12-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #28
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256

So dang CUTE!!!

Here are my Diesel Dually Alerters on the campground. Meet Trapper and Hawkeye

Old 12-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #29
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
yes they are.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #30
DavidG425
Established Member

M.O.C. #27789
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I should have been more clear about the A/C usage. I know that running all 3 would require a large and expensive battery bank, and not really looking to run all 3 from solar. I was just stating that I could run all 3 from shore power.

If I could run just one of them, along with everything else, from solar, that would be great!

So what kind of equipment would you recommend for this? The folks at GoPower have suggested their AE-6 package plus 2 additional panels for a total of 1,520 watts, 2 controllers, cables and other hardware. Total cost aroun $6,000 plus batteries and installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
I have the same rig with 2 ac units, I have In Command and would like to know anything that you can tell me about the 3rd ac install and operation.
We had a mobile service guy install the third unit on the roof. Wiring already there. Just had to replace the Fantastic Fan control with a thermostat. Not sure if you could tie it into your InCommand system. With the third A/C, it will keep the inside 25 degrees cooler inside than it is outside.
DavidG425 is offline   Reply With Quote