Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Andersen 5th Wheel Ultimate Connection Hitch wearing down my truck bedliner SOLUTION!

If there's any complaint I have about the Andersen 5th Wheel Ultimate Connection Hitch, it's that the frame has been wearing down the Line-X bedliner in my truck.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the hitch.

So I read on some other forum that someone solved the problem by putting in a hard rubber (like tire rubber) mat that he got from Tractor Supply Company. It's a 4' x 3' Utility Rubber Mat, 1/2" thick. It's very hard and dense and heavy, weighs around 40 lbs. It's listed under the department for Equine Horse Stall mat. It cost $26.99 plus tax.

I used a 2-3/4" hole saw on my drill to cut out the hole for the ball. I drilled halfway through, flipped the mat over and drilled the other halfway through for a clean cut. I also cut 2-1/4" x 1" slots for the safety chain U-bolts.

If you notice in the pictures, I did not center the hitch on the pad forward to back for a reason. I have some storage bins that I carry in the truck bed between the hitch and the tailgate and if I had the pad centered, then the bins wouldn't fit and the tailgate wouldn't close.

Very happy with the results!

Recommendation: Do not go with a thicker pad. I think TSC has a 3/4" pad which would probably be too thick to get the hitch receiver pin to get under the gooseneck ball. 1/2" was just enough. You could cut around the receiver box on the hitch, but I wanted a clean round hole instead of a square oversized hole.

Tip: Use a carpet knife with a new blade, commonly called a utility knife or box cutter to cut or trim. Also use a chalk line to snap your lines. I used a 2-3/4" hole saw to cut out the hole for my gooseneck ball and it's perfect.

I tightened the hitch down to 60-lbs, and after I get the trailer on the hitch and moved down the road a bit, I'll check and tighten to 60-lbs again. I expect there will be some compression of the rubber mat, although not much.

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I learned a trick about cutting those. Spray a light film of WD-40 along cut line.cuts easy with a box cutter
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
I learned a trick about cutting those. Spray a light film of WD-40 along cut line.cuts easy with a box cutter
OK, thanks for the tip! I wonder if I could have used that with cutting the hole out with the hole saw. It smoked up pretty good.

As for cutting the slots for the safety chain U-bolts, I used the box cutter knife and made 4-5 passes in the same cut to get through. Wasn't a big deal, but I'll remember the WD-40 tip for next time.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Kid1956
Established Member

M.O.C. #22775
I also used the 1/2" horse mat for rear flaps on the duallys and semis. they dont hardly sail at all, and dont disintegrate in the sun like the china flaps..
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
OK, thanks for the tip! I wonder if I could have used that with cutting the hole out with the hole saw. It smoked up pretty good.

As for cutting the slots for the safety chain U-bolts, I used the box cutter knife and made 4-5 passes in the same cut to get through. Wasn't a big deal, but I'll remember the WD-40 tip for next time.
I think it would have helped
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andersen, bedliner, gooseneck, hitch, truck