Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
Basement Storage

Was looking at the 3720RL and 3721RL and a few others. Some of the models have an unusual amount of plumbing and wiring exposed in the basement storage area. Is this a common issue with Montanas? I have seen a few models with no exposed plumbing but, seems the ones I'm interested in have lots of exposed pipes and things. Are they different year to year? For example, does a 2016 model have more or less than say a 2014, 15?

Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have never really viewed basement storage at the rv show each year with that frame of mind, so will have to do so at tampa in jan. In the basement of our model, we have four pex tubes that come from behind the rear removable wall and then go up into the ceiling which is where the bathroom vanity is located. They are pretty much up as high against the ceiling as can be. Also have the toilet pipe that feeds the black tank under the basement floor. This is to the back of the basement area. And have a vent pipe against the forward wall. And there is a duct tube for the furnace that feeds the bedroom. If this is what you see, it is all model dependant and layouts can also vary with a model from year to year. Not really much of an issue as the basement area is huge with a lot of height. Don't view this area with the mind set of how much extra crap you can carry, but rather for some things that are necessities that won't fit in other places. Each model only has a limited amount of cargo carrying ability before you hit that gross rating, some models less than others. Adding lots of options? Guess what happens to that cargo number! And when you start loading your stuff, keep tabs on how much it weights...especially kitchen/dining/food stuff. Hope I didn't bore you with a loooong answer. John
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We purchased a new 2015 3440RL in April of this year. Our first Montana was a 2955RL that actually had a pipe exposed right in the basement from the bottom to the top, I always wondered if some of the cargo would shift and break the pipe. So that is one thing we watched for on the new Montana and our model has no exposed pipes that could be a problem and the wires are neatly tucked away in the floor joists.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wiring and plumbing between the floor joists isn't a problem for us. We have to easily get things in and out so stacking stuff up there doesn't work, and as John has pointed out, weight can be an issue also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

I have never really viewed basement storage at the rv show each year with that frame of mind, so will have to do so at tampa in jan. In the basement of our model, we have four pex tubes that come from behind the rear removable wall and then go up into the ceiling which is where the bathroom vanity is located. They are pretty much up as high against the ceiling as can be. Also have the toilet pipe that feeds the black tank under the basement floor. This is to the back of the basement area. And have a vent pipe against the forward wall. And there is a duct tube for the furnace that feeds the bedroom. If this is what you see, it is all model dependant and layouts can also vary with a model from year to year. Not really much of an issue as the basement area is huge with a lot of height. Don't view this area with the mind set of how much extra crap you can carry, but rather for some things that are necessities that won't fit in other places. Each model only has a limited amount of cargo carrying ability before you hit that gross rating, some models less than others. Adding lots of options? Guess what happens to that cargo number! And when you start loading your stuff, keep tabs on how much it weights...especially kitchen/dining/food stuff. Hope I didn't bore you with a loooong answer. John
Thanks. After looking at some pictures online, I can see what your saying and I think I could live with it.
After a closer look, the new model that we fell in love with at the SO CAL show earlier this year, (3820FK), has no plumbing that I can see but, does have a smaller basement area. Looks like about half of what others have. Just have to live with less, right?
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote