Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
JeffBusarow
Established Member

M.O.C. #12116
Inside slide room framing

Has anyone else had their wood top framing pieces falling down? It recently happened on my 3 1/2 year old 3100RL. Dining room slide. It is out of warranty and I'm having to pay for the repair. I was surprised to see how that heavy wood was fastened up there with only staples.

JeffBusarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Unfortunately, it has been experienced by quite a few, myself included on our first Montana. I would not suggest having the repair done with staples.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
One reason that the factory uses staples and no adhesive to install the fascia boards is that when (when, ...not if) the owner eventually opens the slides and there is an object between the fascia and the wall, it reduces the chance of severe damage to the RV wall and slide structure.

If something solid was to get in between the wall and fascia, and the fascia was rigidly attached to the slide, the hydraulics are strong enough to do serious damage to the RV like break the exterior wall from the floor, bend the aluminum framing in the wall, etc., and at the very least break the fascia board.(another reason they assemble this way is that it is quick and cheap)
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Have had this happen on a previous TT and the Monty. Easy fix with an air brad nailer. If you don't have a compressor, a 5 or 10 gallon air tank filled at your local gas station will work fine.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
On my unit the wood trim is very thin and lite. No need for anything more than brads. The wood is attached to a thick piece of what looks like white melamine. The melamine is screwed into the side wall. The melamine is what stops your slide. Not the wood.
I had to rebuild one side of my slide. There is a table in the rear corner with drawer. Traveling the drawer came out and was between slide and wall. Lucky it didn't do damage to wall but did pull the screws out. Had to remove the wood trim to get to the screws.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I put mine back up with a few screws and hid the holes.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had to make a quick repair a couple weeks ago when a cabinet door came open and caught the rear roadside slide. Popped the fascia off and pulled a couple of the screws out holding the plywood under it, in addition to bending the bracket underneath the slide. Glad we carry tools, compressor, and brad nailer. Had repair done in a little over an hour. Then, several days later, found the rear side fascia half off on the curb side rear slide after traveling I-44 through Oklahoma. Just fixed that today, partly not enough nails, and partly the nasty road. Now I just need to find some filler putty to match the hickory finish. Got the stain at the rally, might have to get a neutral putty and stain it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Overload you are spot on about how the trim is installed.

Just got home from a 3500 mile trip and on a windy cold night in Osceola,Iowa I was letting the slides out on our 2010 3400rl and heard a popping noise. Just thought it was because of the the 34 degree temp. so started the slides out again and heard another pop so went outside and set controls so the computer and tv slide would come in. Then moved the living room slide out so I could see the other slide. What I found was that that a door on the cabinets had opened and there were two plastic glasses wedged between the slide and rv wall. It pushed the bottom of the trim out and I then had to pull the board out and noticed the staples. I hate to think of what could have happened if they had used wood screws totally to keep trim trim in place.

I was lucky enough to make repairs that night but also learned a lesson if something makes a noise we are not used to it is good idea to check before continuing. I hate to think of what could have happened if they had used screws and ahesive to hold that trim in place.
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote