Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Is it safe to assume the tank issues are primarily with grey and fresh tanks? While it would suck black tank failure would be a disaster.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Not every manufactor has this problem. Our Alpenlite had a 100 gal fresh and 50 gal grays and black tanks. We used to travel with the fresh full and our other tanks would be pretty full by time we got to where we were going and dumped. Didn't like taking time to dump at Flying J's etc..... But then too they were a high end manfactor. Sad it seems that most of the manufactors that took pride in their workmanship and made a really good product are the ones out of business now. A sign of the times, no one had the money to buy $80k 5th wheels any more lol lol....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Is it safe to assume the tank issues are primarily with grey and fresh tanks? While it would suck black tank failure would be a disaster.
That is not a safe assumption. We had two black tank failures in our 06 3400.We dump the black tanks every two days or sooner now in this 13 3402 as we have zero confidence in the integrity of the tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Why no stainless steel tanks? I know we are talking more money but should have no problems with stainless! Should be a no brainer! Am I wrong?
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The same materials used in making our holding tanks is used to manufacture aftermarket fuel tanks for trucks, for transporting water, fish fry, the uses are limitless. IMO much of what is manufactured for the RV industry is inferior in construction because the RV manufacturer does not demand a better product and really it would not matter how good the tank was if it is not being properly supported. It would maybe not break/crack, but it well might fall to the ground.

A buddy of mine has a small travel trailer, the tank support for his blace water tank broke and one end dropped down on the axles. The tank survived the experience but a new support had to be fabricated.

When richfaa finally gets his out so that they can be checked properly we will know more about the construction of both the tanks and supports.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #26
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

Why no stainless steel tanks? I know we are talking more money but should have no problems with stainless! Should be a no brainer! Am I wrong?
or better yet, aircraft grade welded aluminum tanks. I'd pay extra to have these.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog
or better yet, aircraft grade welded aluminum tanks. I'd pay extra to have these.
Hi

Aluminum is not recommended for use as tanks for anything that may become corrosive in nature from water to sewerage.

The aviation 2024 aluminum alloys are very brittle and will crack under repeated flexing this also changes depending on the hardening process used to harden the alloy.

The aviation 5XXX, 7003 and 7005 alloys are preferred for tank usage but are commonly only used for fuel, oils and Alcohol tanks but Stainless is still preferred for Alcohol.

The Stainless alloys are also prone to hardening and then cracking from working or flexing. This is one of the reasons Stainless is not recommended for boilers.

In my opinion the tanks being used are the best material they just need to be supported correctly. Two or three straps under the tank is probably the best way. This is what my friend found on his new SOB when he went looking to see about adding straps.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote