Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
poopy--poopy OH MY

Hi guys,

My flush inlet valve for the black tank will not take water ,I took out the screen did not help.
Is there a pressure valve inside the pipe some where, I would not think there would be ,yes I opened the gate valve no water comes out. Made sure all flowed well filled toilet with water ,drained as it should.

Thanks in advance for any help

David in beautiful Coeur d Alene,Idaho

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It sure sounds like your black tank check valve has bit the dust. It is intended to prevent a back flow situation. There have been lots of discussions about these beauties. Do a "search" on "black tank check valve" and there will be a lot of postings. Here is one with pictures:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...lve,black,tank

I believe the check valve is installed behind the shower in a 2955 but may be in the bathroom sink cabinet. Look in the pantry for an access panel.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2, it's the check valve. Black plastic devise that goes bad frequently.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
OK, next question, Why would there be a check value on a black tank sprayer? the main water inlet works fine. What am I missing here?

David
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We bypassed the check valve by taking it out..keeping the flush line higher than the tank itself in its route to the tank and installed a simple gate valve for a Water hose where you hook the hose for the flush tank to work in the command center...since the flush valve sprayer enters the black tank in the sidewall iof the tank...a check valve prevents your wee wee water and etc from back flowing out the black tank flush line once your tank volume is higher than where the sprayer enters the tank in the sidewall of the tank...our troubles were the check valve and the sprayer tip itself...so we have redesigned the spray tip itself and now it works great...let's in about 5 gallons a minute....

We do not drain the black tank until it is basically full or every 3 or 4 days...gives it time to breakdown somewhat...then when we get home we refill the black tank with about 30 - 35 gallons of water and let it sit til we leave again...we are fortunate to have a dump hookup at the house....we also have a water meter we use to measure water volumes we put back into the black tank....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Stan,

I don`t suppose you would have pic`s on the information you just gave me it would be very helpful..

I looked in behind the shower last night and remembered last year had a leak, at that time took out the restrictor valve which in turn gave more water flow to the shower and kitchen sink, Is there some thing else I am over looking? and is a check valve the same as a restrictor valve?

David (confused)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
David, I dont have any pics...I also have a different floor plan than you...our check valve was under the sink in the bathroom..found that out by tracing the pipes from the command center...we tried to fix it with the help of a plumber friend..worked for a couple of trips then stopped so we just removed the check valve completely...re-routed the pipe in the basement.. worked fine until the sprayer tip apparently got clogged..so we located the tip, drilled five slightly bigger holes it the tip at different angles and it now works really well and has shown no indication of clogging up...the water meter is just a meter for a water hose that we got from a garden center..cost like $24..but worth it to me...also...the restrictor valve is not the same as a check valve...a check valve allows flow only in one direction...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One reason that Keystone puts a back flow preventer in that line is that many owners use the outside shower to supply water to the black tank flush. Without the back flow preventer a fluctuation in water pressure could suck black tank water back into the rigs fresh water system and then not just the dogs would be drinking from the toilet.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
David: the link I provided earlier contains pictures. Here is one of the check valve.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
OK,

I have looked under bathroom sink, behind shower, under kitchen sink . Have not put any holes in Wall's YET!!!!!!!

Is there any other suggestions

Thanks for all help

David
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would bet a lot of your money that the back-flow valve is behind the shower in the pocket door hole. There should be a removable metal panel on the pocket door wall of the pantry.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Carl,

OK, Son-in-law coming over this week end to look for that little bugger... I will let you know if you were right...

David
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
WELL, HERE IS UP DATE... NO CHECK VALVE ANY WHERE ...LINE GOES FROM CONVENCE CENTER TO BACK OF SHOWER WHERE CHECK VALVE WAS THEN DOWN TO BLACK TANK

WHEN IT GETS COOLER OUT PLAN TO TAKE UNDER BELLY DOWN AND LOOK AT I AM ASUMNING SPRAY INLETS

any IDEAS WOULD BE GALDLY TAKENING

Thanks

David
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am guessing you aren't the original owner of the RV? I think you would remember removing the check valve if you had done it. That just leaves the sprayer head. Some have had success clearing the jets by filling the black tank and dumping in packages of tissue digester / pyramid disolver stuff. Otherwise remove the spray head and drill out the holes. That cleans them up and makes it harder to plug up next time.