Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Front Closet

I believe this problem surfaced before but cannot find it in a search. Our front closet (right side/washer space left side) panel broke/split about 4 inches from the bottom about 24 inches across. I thought Keystone just cut the panel too long and it split because of that. Any chance that is not the problem and the entire section is moving up and down? The closet front slanted panel staples have all pulled out. Attempted to hammer them back in but the botton inside frame sounded like metal, thoughts on that issue.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just had mine replaced at the service center for that same reason. They said they would install a shorter panel, well, guess what. It pulled out again on the way to Florida, first pull since repair.
Now they say they might not have fixed it right?
Also, when not hooked to the truck, the outside lower trim is dropped about 1/4 inch, this closes up when hitched up.
Do not want to air my thoughts at this time.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our closet wall has not cracked yet but is popping the staples. A tech. at our dealer suggested 1/4 to 1/2 inch off bottom of panel to relieve pressure. Have not done it yet, but it makes good sense. No trouble yet on outside. He suggested to lay a piece of wood flat as guide and cut with boxcutter. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We had the same problem in our last Monty (2006 2955RL). It is one of the signs of frame flex. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Soooo Rich, did you have frame flex?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Emmel, suggestion. I don't want to get you or anyone else in this forum upset or going but, I would start taking digital photos of this happening in the closet. Especially, if things begin to get worse. That way, you'll have evidence to send to Keystone. Sounds like there maybe something going on here that Keystone might need to know about.

I also know that, the TrailAir L05 pinbox has saved a lot of these issues. Got one on the old Challenger and I'll not have a unit without it.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dale, Keystone is well aware of my problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I believe this problem surfaced before but cannot find it in a search. Our front closet (right side/washer space left side) panel broke/split about 4 inches from the bottom about 24 inches across. I thought Keystone just cut the panel too long and it split because of that. Any chance that is not the problem and the entire section is moving up and down? The closet front slanted panel staples have all pulled out. Attempted to hammer them back in but the botton inside frame sounded like metal, thoughts on that issue.
Mike
Mike,
Read through the posts in this link: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43858 and this one: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45538

We had the same issue and took ours to the factory in Pendleton, OR in July of this year and they did a super job at fixing the problem in the way GaryM describes how they fixed his. Once you read though the info, I would suggest you contact Keystone to let them know what is going on. They have heard of this problem from myself and others here on this forum and have stepped up to make it right. Since our repair we have not had any other problems thus far.

Jack
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Not to steal this thread, but the drivers side basement door sticks a little when hooked up, but not when not hooked up. Could this be caused by frame flex? Nothing inside is cracked or binding.
Thanks in advance.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OK Steve. What is Keystone doing or saying about it at this point if, I may ask?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dale, when I left Troy, the last I heard was the email would be forwarded and nothing for the week before I left. I figured there must not be a problem or I would have heard something. Oh, by the way, I still haven't heard from them. Left Troy on the 28th of Oct..
The last email I recieved sounded like they might not have gotten the panel short enough or, didn't get it replaced at all?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #12
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

Not to steal this thread, but the drivers side basement door sticks a little when hooked up, but not when not hooked up. Could this be caused by frame flex? Nothing inside is cracked or binding.
Thanks in advance.
Pete & Terry,
When we had the problem with ours there was never a problem with the basement doors binding.

Jack
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Try this easy test, crawl across the bed with the slides in and shoot a picture of any gaps or buckling in the closet with the rig off the truck. Then hook it to the truck and lift the landing gear and measure gaps and photograph again. This should tell you if you have a difference between hooked up and unhooked. If there is a substantial difference then I would say frame flex. We just had all the frame flex mods done to ours in late Sept at service center. Now there is no movement in the closet or the trim on the outside...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Just had mine replaced at the service center for that same reason. They said they would install a shorter panel, well, guess what. It pulled out again on the way to Florida, first pull since repair.
Now they say they might not have fixed it right?
Also, when not hooked to the truck, the outside lower trim is dropped about 1/4 inch, this closes up when hitched up.
"Also, when not hooked to the truck, the outside lower trim is dropped about 1/4 inch, this closes up when hitched up.

We know what the problem is and Keystone knows what the problem is. We haver had that problem twice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Steve, do you see the outside corner trim opening or closing when you hook up and unhook?

Also, what would it take to get that '68 Firebird off your hands?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dale the outside trim closes up when attached.
I'll send you an email on the bird.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #17
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

Thanks in advance.
Pete & Terry,
When we had the problem with ours there was never a problem with the basement doors binding.

Jack

Thanks Jack

Pete
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Did the unhooked/hooked check suggested. Screwed a straight board to the floor at the base of the wall panel. Taped a sheet of paper to the wall panel, measured 1/4" differance unhooked vs hooked. Don't see how that would cause the crack. Must take into consideration the bouncing along our roadways would enhance the distance. Don't think I have a flex issue. Will contact Keystone tomorrow for suggested remedy of the panel problem. Feel free to tell me I'm being overly optomistic.
Mike
Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #19
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Be optimistic Mike, because the other option isn't good!! Good luck on finding the problem. By the way, nice to have met you folks here at GSP. It was a good time.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
have 06 montata-----have the same problem everything pulled apart thought they forgot to fasten it,,, stapeles all pulled out got hack togrther and put screws in,,,,, havent used r v since....will have to check
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote